Spoon Commission

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I received a commission the other day from a member of one of the conservation groups im involved with, they wanted a short spoon for general cooking duties, i had more or less free range as to style and wood selection, but, i did have one design stipulation to contend with, it had to be suitable for use with arthritic hands.

So i came up with this, i made the spoon from some lovely Poplar i had for a few of reasons, 1) it has a gorgeous grain pattern, 2) it's a food safe wood and 3) it's lightweight, the spoon has a good sized bowl, but importantly also has a wide handle so it's easier to grip, the handle is shaped for an easy grip, not only in plan view, but also in profile and is considerably thicker and wider than i would normally leave it, ive tried to retain some elegance to the shape, so it's not only practical, but also visually appealing.

DSCN7641.jpg

DSCN7645.jpg

DSCN7630.jpg

Having made it, i didn't like the expanse of the oversize handle, so i added some simple decoration to it, just to take the 'blandness' out

DSCN7664.jpg

Having added the carving, im not sure i particularly like it, so i might carve it out and go back to the plain handle and rely on the grain in the wood to make it look 'pretty', i will see what the new owner says when i pop round to deliver it later though before i do anything.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Didn't rate the other ones yer put up. But this I like, grain, profile ....all of it :thumbup: I'm just gunna have ten minutes , furthering my own creation thanks to this one. Good elth :beer:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps

@chisller - out of the ones ive made in the past couple of days, i think this one is my least favourite:(,

but you are both right, the grain patterns are superb

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I like the engraving on that a lot. If anything I think it brings out the grain and adds interest.

It's odd when you work at a request and not like it - but it is exactly what they want. Clean lines and well executed.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I can see thats a well thought out solution to the arthritis. Nice work as usual Mark :)

Hope it gives them some relief. :)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Different strokes, for different folks ;) I've just had a quick whittle, put it away....not feeling the love and I'm going to ruin mine . For a change lol.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice grain pattern that poplar has Kepis mate, I can see where you are coming from on the detail you have added, good work all round I'd say. Me and Rockmonkey haven't tried carving a little bit of poplar. :rolleyes:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Better bring a bigger bergen Thursday Rocky mate, I'm bringing a couple of the axe masks that I made yesterday, I digress as this is Keps thread.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I think it is lovely, and my wife, who has arthritic hands, would love it.

Personally I liked it better without the engraving, but it is a great spoon and the grain is lovely.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hey man....the spoons impressive of course but even more so is the thought and conscientiousness thats gone into it....i love it when a craftsman is not happy with his own work...nice humility m8.

and for that you can have a sarnie on lil mans thomas plate and have ya cuppa from his thomas cup.

respect.

a

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys, i think im going to spend some time later today when i get back in, going over it and removing the engraving, really dont like it, thankfully the handle is thick enough to allow me to do it.

@Angst - only if you cut the bread into Soldiers for me:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE