Spoon Carving :)

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I'm a fan of using larger knifes and a believer that practice makes you better at most things so thought id have a bash a carving with my ESEE-6. It did all the work from roughing it out of the Willow branch that I used to all the detail cuts and finishing cuts to :) the Frost spoon knife was used to hollow out the bowl of the spoon :)

I think it turned out fine what do you think ?

DSCF0086-1.jpg

DSCF0088-1.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

cheers Russ

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Thats a classic spoon matey,...

i,m new to the spoon making,..and just used what i had on me,...a 5 inch Helle Brakar,...

i got on quite well,..even on the details and tighter cuts,....

i have since tried with a smaller knife and its not as easy,...sooooo much easier with a big blade i must agree,...

Stu

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Thanks Im thinking of having a go with my RTAK II should be interesting with such a long blade :)

cheers Russ

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I've done the bigger knife (but not quite that big) and was happy with the results .
From the looks of your spoons you should be more than pleased , nice work!

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ive been working my way up to carving a spoon with my RTAK II
I thought it would be nice to use a hard wood this time so Ive used seasoned Oak :rolleyes::D I think its turned out well the RTAK II has a 10.5 inch blade.
It wasn't as hard to control it for the fine cuts as I thought it would be.
And it was easy to choke up on the blade for finer tip work :)
Its tool finished again all done using the RTAK II and a frost spoon knife for hollowing out the bowl.
clippers just for scale :)

DSCF0018-1.jpg

DSCF0019-4.jpg

DSCF0020-3.jpg

DSCF0022-1.jpg

DSCF0023-2.jpg

What do you think ?

Cheers Russ

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:spam::spam::dancer::dancer:Brilliant mate , very nice .. what's next chain saw . haa ha

Don't you be giving him ideas :rolleyes: Broken bottles and felling axes'll be next :yikes:

That said, Russ, the spoon carving's beautiful :D and I know you like the bigger knives, but you'd make a decent spoon with a sharpened penny if need be :D

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE