spoon carving. please help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
really need to buy a crook knife for the bowl bit. was thinking of a mora but there are double edged and single and different guages etc etc....

whats the easiest one to use for a total novice please!!! help!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
personally i'd recommend getting a double edged one, that way you can work out which way round you feel most comfortable using the tool and then either buy yourself another with the single edge that you prefer or just file one of the edges away to make yourself a single edged tool.

stuart

boxcorsair

Dec 31, 2010
York
I am a relative newcomer to spoon carving and was in a similar predicament a month or so ago. I opted for a single sided, right hand crook knife from Ben Orford. Like I say I have no real comparison but I got to grips with it very quickly. The handle is quite slender but seems to suit my hand. Also with regard to the single side, I haven't found it to be a disadvantage in anyway so far - means you can use your thumb on the back if you like, although again not found myself doing this much.

Anyway, usual no connection etc, there was a thread on here with a crook spoon 'showdown', the mora seems to come in for a little stick for a less than sharp blade out of the box.

Good luck

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Generally not too bad to sharpen. I use various grades of wet & dry, and I use a dowel for the inside of the curve. Just take your time.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE