Spooky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

draybo

Sep 21, 2022
Nottinghamshire
So far I have never had anything weird near me or make a noise near me. Given that it is nearly all hallows eve has anyone ever had the crap scared out of them at night in the woods, on the moors, or in a field. Please don't say a bigfoot came to my camp we're not in America.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Some years ago, whilst in our late teens, a friend and myself had a night out in the local woods.
In the middle of the night I was woken by screams. No, not deer - there were none in these woods. Not foxes either.
It was a very desperate, pained, scream. I lay there for some minutes, listening to it, wondering if I should explore - the screams weren't that far away.
Then came the sound of heavy footfall, and the steps were coming closer.

There was no supernatural cause. Turns out my friend had eaten some berries he shouldn't have...

Reactions: draybo

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There’s a long thread on here somewhere about things that go bump in the night. My data signal is too slow to search for it, but there are some great posts in there of genuinely mysterious occurrences.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ah, here it is, pebble throwing ghosts and animals that leave no prints etc :eek:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
In the late 1950's just before I left school, a mate and I went camping on the Essex Marshes. In those days that particular area near a little place called Corbets Tey was all rough grass and marshland with scattered lonely farms, later someone built a little road called the M25 through it and submerged it in tarmac and housing estates..:laugh:

In school we had been studying Dickens' 'Great Expectations,' with mist shrouded Marshes, rotting Prison Hulks, and escaped convicts, so our idea was to have a looksee if it really was such a creepy place at night. My mate's name I recall was Gary Player (not the South African Golfer). We had two cotton tents bought from Silverman's Surplus in East London and a collection of blankets, tinned food and Mars Bars.....

We rode our heavily laden push bikes out along the muddy tracks heading towards the ruins of some old brick and corrugated tin buildings of a former military base. I believe it was an old Listening Post built to provide warning of air attacks on East London. It was late Summer and still light when we arrived where much to our amazement and annoyance we found a very flash, quite new, Sunbeam Rapier car parked behind one of the old ruined buildings. I clearly remember that red and white car with the Rapier badges on the rear wings. We wanted to light a fire but decided not to until the car and occupant(s) cleared off, so Gary stoked up the brass Primus.

By 8.30pm the car was still there, and the daylight was fading so we decided to try to find out if there was anyone near, or had the car been stolen? I went to one of the old buildings and Gary went to another, half expecting to find either nothing or what was politely known then as "a courting couple"
Suddenly there was the most horrifying scream and Gary appeared running flat out away from the building and back towards our tents. I ran to the building that he had just left and there hanging from the angle iron roof trusses was a body. An empty Gin or perhaps Vodka bottle ( it was clear glass anyway) and also a small carrier bag lay in a puddle on the concrete floor beneath the body.
I immediately legged it back towards the tents...

I like to think that our bike ride towards civilisation was approaching Olympic record speed, It was fairly quick anyway, but before we reached the proper road surface we saw a black car with a silver bell on the front bumper driving slowly towards us down the Marsh track. In those days all Police cars were black with bells on...:)

Gary poured out the details and it transpired that the Sunbeam Rapier was the same car, the details of which the Policeman had in his notebook. The PC's had decided as part of a general search for the missing car and it's distressed (lady) occupant, to check on the Marsh tracks and buildings.
The police car was not a 'Radio Car' as they were called in those days, so it meant a drive to the nearest telephone for the Pc's to report their findings. One Officer stayed at the building and the other allowed us to pile our camping gear into the Police Car, neither of us felt inclined to carefully pack it properly in our back packs. So off the little convoy went, a Police Car loaded with camping gear followed by two white faced teenagers all the way back to safety at Corbets Tey village.
We spent the night on Sofas in the Conservatory of the village Post Mistress's cottage, although I do remember we didn't actually sleep much..:wideyed:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I never believed in ghosts until November 2021. My little, old runt of a cat, Heidi, died in October of that year. She would have been pushing 18, I guess.

She walks across the bed almost every night, stepping on my legs. Like she did so often when she was alive. Wakes me up, nobody there, certainly not my big adoption, Rumpuss cat, that I got in January 2022.

Reactions: billycoen

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I have one, sort of. It's entirely human though.

Years ago I went out with some old school friends to a wood in Northern Ireland, won't say which but North East coast direction. Myself and another lad actually had outdoor kit, the other two or three lads brought their duvets and multipacks of crisps :/.

Tents up. Fire lit. Stories of days gone being remembered. After a late dinner, and coming close to crawling into the tent time, I decided I'd walk down to the car, about 500m, just to check it was okay. Just out of sight/sound of where we were camped I became aware that there was someone coming the other way. Not wishing a surprise encouter, I sparked my torch and just at that second two lads in backpatch biker gear gear rounded a corner ahead. They were carrying between them a package of some sort, a big sack let us say. We looked at each other for a second and then both parties turned tail and ran back in the direction they came. I remember distinctly that they dropped their baggage.

I got back to our camp and told the story. After having explained it for the third or fourth time we collectively went to investigate. Got to the corner where I'd met the strangers, nothing to be seen, walked on down to the car and... Nothing. After hanging around for a bit and scaring off a couple of courting couples, we returned to our campsite and everyone else went to sleep!

I know that's very anticlimatic but it really gave me the willies as they say. Still think of it on occasion when I'm out alone, or even in company.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Ah, here it is, pebble throwing ghosts and animals that leave no prints etc :eek:

I would urge people to fully read and add to this thread! Not start a duplicate.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I was on a motor lifeboat station on the Oregon Coast. I went downtown and saw JAWS at the theater. I left thinking it was dumb
Sensationalized drivel. I got back to base 30 minutes before sunset and was sitting down to evening mess. Alarm goes off. Five minutes later I’m climbing into my wetsuit as we responded to a capsized boat. We spot a kid bobbing in his life jacket. I jumped off the stern as my boat went on for others. I swam over, calmed the kid down and treaded water for the boat, or a helicopter from Astoria to pick us up.
It’s the seasonal salmon run. BUMP
And I felt one collide with my feet treading. BUMP and I started thinking about the opening scene of the movie. BUMP and I’m trying to pull my feet higher in my wetsuit
And stay calm. Bump bump and I see the boat returning. I fire a pen flare in the moonlight. Bump. I fire a second. Bump and a third flare. Boat pulls up and they pull us aboard. ‘ hey Kav, what’s with the flares? We saw you?’ I never went to the sequels

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would urge people to fully read and add to this thread! Not start a duplicate.
Meh. That other thread started as a serious question about combatting fear of the dark. This one started by asking for spooky stories. Wherever the other thread wandered to, I think there is room for a second.

Of course, with their larger areas of wilderness, more and more dangerous wildlife, shorter history and generally greater willingness to believe in things they cannot see, the Americans tend to have WAY better stories!

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
“Believe in things they cannot see”
Ahem, Hearn the Hunter blowing his horn- reported by Charles lll
Ley Lines, ghosts in every building over 100 years old, that UFO on a airbase, large cats, Nessie, Boy George........

• Haha
Reactions: C_Claycomb

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The nights are easy; just be the scariest creature around (for a while). Ghosts tend to be foggier and UFO just fly. Nessie does not walk, large cats might be problematic though, Boy George goes away with a strongly opinionated BOO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE