Split Stick Atlatl

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
I have been teaching kids the Atlatl for some time now and wanted to explore some different types for some time. I came across this article at Primitive Ways

http://www.primitiveways.com/fork_atlatl1.html

and thought it would be much easier for kids to use. After testing it with the kids they find this cordage Atlatl much easier to use.

Decided though to try and make one myself but in a primitive way and using only one stick (Goat Willow was used) for the Atlatl and the cordage
For some reason I cannot upload pictures so if you want to see how I made mine click here (there are a few other types of Atlatls at the end of the album)

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc177/seorasgma/Split Stick Atlatl/?start=all

If there is enough interest I will run a class at the Bushmoot for folks.

Cheers

George

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I find that very interesting - and now have yet another project on my "to-do" list!
Thanks for posting this!

seconded.

out of curiosity, would anyone else agree that the Lovelock Cave spear thrower that appears at the end of the primitive ways article looks as though it's inteneded to be used by a left hander?

stuart

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
it certainly looks left handed to me too. it's a wonderful example of how refined these tools were, you'll have to let us know how you get on with making and using your replica.

stuart

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
I have started this atlatl. Got it down to a rough sand and contrary to my initial thoughts I would say that it is a right handed atl. Just fits much nicer in the right hand. Bit of a sod as i am left handed. Will just have to make another one.

When my main computer is fixed I will post a few pics.

George

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very well done George :)

Interesting photo tutorial, thanks for posting :) What sort of range are you getting with it ? and how's the accuracy ?

cheers,
Toddy

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Thanks Mary. Up to 15 m for me with plenty of practice and I am (fairly) accurate. I don't do many long range shots but with good darts 50m + I suppose but without the accuracy.

Got some pics of the replica Lovelock cave atl I am working on. It is at first sanding stage now.

Started with this:

DSC01542-1.jpg

To this:

DSC01582-1.jpg

A close up of the handle:

DSC01584-1.jpg

It is a work in progress needing to season for a while. I will then resand it, oil it and Bone it to get it really smooth. Then I will attach a loop at the handle for hanging and attach sinew at the back for attaching the dart.

Cheers

Geroge

Attachments

• DSC01544.jpg
    DSC01544.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE