Split Logs

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Got a load of logs recently and have decided to built a rustic garden seat.

Managed to split the 4 uprights which is a first for me.

Only used a machette, a B&Q axe as a wedge (with a handle), a pound shop rubber mallet and a pound shop chisel.

splitlog.jpg

Not perfectly down the middle but still very usable and without too much expense.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
you did very well mate, those log's look a bit gnarly in place's and arent always easy. Are they birch? I find birch is next to impossible to split easily and evenly if it has gone soft and spalty like a crunchie bar inside, it sort of breaks off sideways in chunks. I love those rubber mallet's, especially that they are indestructible, and make a gentle sound which doesnt annoy the neihbours too much, and they dont jar or bounce either. Thinking about it a large solid pavers one would be good for driving wood wedges in:)
good luck with the rest of your rustic project:)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I understand thay are Alder. I was told that on another thread due to the orange color. They do have quite a few knots as the are just "lumps" , having been cut off a tree which was having a very serious cut back in the village. Still i got enough to have a go at a seat. Hopefully by splitting them it will save me having to then cut them to length as the two bits will be the same length.

Dont what to be defeatist but even if the whole project is a wash, I have still got firewood!!!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL thats how I rationalise the way a lot of spoons end up on the fire :rolleyes: :D .
Alder is very resilient if its permanently sodden, not sure if its exposed to normal weather variation's? Have you tried carving any? its lovely to work with, very soft and light weight when it dries out.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I not not done any carving as I dont have any tools! Did a little bit of tidying up on a few rough edges, just messing really but yes it did "work" very easy and thats with a poundshop chisel.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Alder is very light timber, seems very soft to carve but not tried anything intricate with it.

When you remove the bark the sap wood turns a kind of "fake tan" orange and so do your hands :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE