Split Faced Monkey Fist Knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
I made 4 turns around my monkey fist jig and then instead of going as usual I went Under 2 strands, over 2 strands, then over2, under 2 to split the sides into 4 segments. I repeated this action in the third set of turns so that each face of the monkey fist has 4 segments.
hs0BNvk.jpg

facetedmf003.jpg

I made my jig from a block of wood and 4 dowels similar to this (sorry, no personal photo)
http://shop.parastrap.com/3-4-Inch-Monkey-Fist-Jig-mofiji3-4.htm

OR
Here is a bent bit of clothes hanger. Size it to the diameter of the core you are covering. MUCH easier than tying around your fingers and less cord required (I have fat fingers). Tony
jig.jpg

Use the wooden jig for the split faced knot. Pull out the dowels to release the knot. The bends in the wire jig make it very difficult to release the knot. Tony

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's cool, not made a monkey fist for a long time, I had a short spell of ding fancy knots, I wonder if i've still got all my papers on them....Ummm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE