Splinter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well, it is out. Cut a v notch over it, and fished it out with a suturing needle.

About 5mm long, 0.5 to 1 mm wide.

Modern chroming can do that, it is crap. I have rechromed loads of car and bike parts. Has to be done the proper way. Copper first, then nickel, chrome on top.

Not easy to find somebody that does it that way these days. Apparently some of the stuff is toxic.

Degrease first, then polish the metal, then copper plate, polish, degrease, bright nickel plate, polish, degrease, chrome finish. Its the polishing that is the secret, that and thorough degrease each time. I can still here the gaffer from Holmes plating (Greenwich SE5) "thats no farkin good, its SHOWING NICKEL MATE, showing NICKEL" We did mostly MoD work aircraft and tank parts.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
On a far less impressive note. Bizarrely this evening I turned on the kitchen tap and sliced my finger. Turns out the chroming has lifted and created a razor sharp edge. Who knew it could do that?

Anyway Ive filed it down now.

Is that your finger or your tap you filed down?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Degrease first, then polish the metal, then copper plate, polish, degrease, bright nickel plate, polish, degrease, chrome finish. Its the polishing that is the secret, that and thorough degrease each time. I can still here the gaffer from Holmes plating (Greenwich SE5) "thats no farkin good, its SHOWING NICKEL MATE, showing NICKEL" We did mostly MoD work aircraft and tank parts.

Can you still find somebody in UK that does a 100% job?

Last edited by a moderator:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Can you still find somebody in UK that does a 100% job?
Yes, but it tends to cost more. I work in aerospace too and while there are sometimes some parts that go wrong, the vast majority come in to us to spec. As for chrome plate, decorative chrome plating will be banned in the EU come September this year. Performance related hard chrome has a 7 year grace before it too is up for banning. Its only a matter of time before the rest of the world follows suit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Chromium is horrendously polluting. It causes feminization of the creatures at the bottom end of the food chain. It disrupts/ destroys entire ecosystems.
Natural dyers have have been complaining about it's use in commercial dyes for years.

M

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
As for chrome plate, decorative chrome plating will be banned in the EU come September this year. Performance related hard chrome has a 7 year grace before it too is up for banning. Its only a matter of time before the rest of the world follows suit.

What will those geniuses at brussles impose on the industry (which I no longer have any connection with) instead of hard chrome? LOL we used a micrometer to check how much was on for some parts. Its the best solution for corrosion and wear resistant parts eg on hospital equipment. But the eu know what they are doing, the eco light bulb fiasco proves it

I got me some TAMA cymbal stands and a hi hat stand a while back. they are supposed to be among the best. Yet in no time the chrome was flaking off in sheets (pretty much as the OP described on their tap) It looked like there was brass underneath, but whatever it is a "very poor" job. Yet you can get a vintage yamaha that doesnt peel and the chrome is still reasonable......

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That is why there has been a 7 year extension recommended by the European Chemical Agency for the use of performance related chromates, because substitutes are so hard to do. Actually though, hard chrome is one of the easier things to replace, provided the application isn't temperature sensitive. Problem if you need it to be applied below 160degC though. Chromate conversion coating of aluminium is a bigger challenge and it is only in the last couple of years that there has been any real progress in alternatives

Sorry for the hijack and off topic.

Glad to hear that the splinter was removed, although the method makes my stomach turn over. I managed to get a huge splinter driven into my little toe, dang thing was lodged in my trouser turn up when I put them on. Went to the local cottage hospital thinking they could just spray something to numb the area and have it out...apparently they are not permitted to use such things, so the best they could do was give me a really pointy pair of tweezers and wish me luck. I had the fun job of removing it myself, but at least I was able to numb it somewhat with repeated applications of 15 year old Anbesol. I don't like splinters!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Chrome;
Once these regulations have been implemented, I wonder what the restoration businesses (of cars, bikes, boats) will do?
No 'chrome paint' looks decent!

splinter: Yes, they are a pain. I am surprised they could not help you. No doctor working there?

Toes and fingers are easy to get numb. A few drops of anesthetic ( no vaso constrictor) and they can work!

I managed to get a 4x2, 4.5 meters long, on my head from about two meters high. Many years ago. After my son found me they took me to the hospital in Crowborough. I bled like a pig. I was out for about 10 minutes. Laws was full of my blood where I had fallen.
The nurse wanted to numb the scalp before they stitched. I declined. As the injections hurts just as much as the suturing. The doc that sutured me was close to fainting. His hands shook. I am good with pain, except on my nose and inside my mouth.
17 stitches. Nice scar. Once I lose my hair I will change my last name for Scarhead.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That is what I tell myself.
One big one on nose. One complex one on side of nose bridge. One under one eye, and one above it.
One huge one on scalp. Invisible still, have plenty of hair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE