Splicing amsteel question

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ok, so i had my first go at splicing tonight. Twas much easier than i expected having only ever done braided rope with a marlin spike Type stuff before
any reading this thinking of trying it. Just do it, with a couple youtube vids you cant go far wrong and the only special i used was some thin telephone wire

on to the question
I'v done a couple of continous loops and some fixed brummels. is there anything else thats useful to know?

Cheers.....adam

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've been meaning to make some woopie slings for a while now. Where did you get your amsteel from? Just wondered if anyone knew a better price than the stuff DD sell?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a fellow called John Kemp; he's a ropeworker, knife maker, woodsman….and he makes steel 'eternity' bracelets.
They are beautiful work :D
http://www.knyph.co.uk/ropework.html

He also does some beautiful rope work. If John has videos, they'd be worth finding I reckon.

M

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Have you found a good video or written instructions on how to do a basic end splice on amsteel? The sort of thing you would use to terminate a length of cord rather than heat sealing. I think it may also be called a back splice. The only guides I could find are for 3 strand, not the 8 strand of amsteel.

Cheers

J

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cheers folks, i can see dog bones coming in handy and soft shackles in 1.8mm would be good for a tarp

Copperhead, i got my last load from gadgetUK above.....not sure if he has any left now or not. His is twelve strand, the stuff i got from DD was eight strand if that makes any difference to ya

Julia, same as gadget i just did a locked brummel as an end sllice, dint know if that was the best way or not, but it worked

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Loopie slings are a good alternative to continuous loops... Think adjustable continuous loops.

--
Gadget.

Aye, they look a nifty doodad, just dont think i'd have a use for em though

Oh, gonna try and splice some 1.5mm tonight if i can find some thin enough wire.......also changed my "fid" to a length of steel wire out some armoured cable casing, seems to work much better than soft electrical wire

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Either my google fu is poor, or the stuff suggested (long bury splice, brummel splice) produce loops. I'm trying to find a way of terminating a cord without putting a loop on the end. I think it's called a back splice, but I can't find any instructions for 8 strands.

J

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
I'm trying to find a way of terminating a cord without putting a loop on the end
For a 2 inch backsplice, measure 5 inches from the end, slide your tool in there (heading back towards the end) come out thru the weave 2 inches from the end, grab the end and pull it right thru so there's no loop left and the tail comes out with the tool. Take your tool off the end, taper the threads (if you want, or haven't already), then smooth the outer sheath to suck the tail back inside.

I tend to put a loop on the end of most things tho', handy for tugging on, or larksheading to. My tarp guylines have loops at both ends, doesn't matter with way round I use them (or can use both ends at the same time). Putting a loop on the pulling end of a whoopie means you can use it like a UCR if you need more reach.

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers folks, i can see dog bones coming in handy and soft shackles in 1.8mm would be good for a tarp

Copperhead, i got my last load from gadgetUK above.....not sure if he has any left now or not. His is twelve strand, the stuff i got from DD was eight strand if that makes any difference to ya

Julia, same as gadget i just did a locked brummel as an end sllice, dint know if that was the best way or not, but it worked

Thanks, is it more difficult to splice the 12 strand compared to the 8?

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nah, no different mate

Don't worry about it mate, the DD stuff seems the the same as the Dutchman sells. VERY easy to splice. in fact a joy compared to zing-it, / lash-it.

Stein is good if you want the thinner stuff. e.g. Superfly tie-outs / guy lines

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/prod...es/stein-skyline-dyneema-throwline-1-8mm-50m/

Yup, 1.8 ! the 2.2 will remind you of crab lines. trust me.

:)

Cheers gents I shall get my hands on some.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE