Spit roast

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
This is going to sound quite mad probably :lmao:

My long suffering other half's getting quite used to the whole idea of doing these strange things in the woods (stop it you mucky - minded lot) in the woods. So, Sunday lunch in the woods it is! :D

Problem is, how to stop things turning on the spit, i.e. you turn the handle but the meat stays put because it's heaviest at a certain point.

Was thinking along the lines of a joint or a whole chicken, with veg in a pan in the embers, sounds good to me! :D

Depending on the weather of course :puppy_dog

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
How to describe this in writing ? Oh well, here goes.....

..."Spatchcock" the chicken , this is just splitting down the spine. Can be done with those heavy kitchen scissors/shears , or , stand it up on one end with the legs uppermost, spine towards you and place tip of knife at top of spine and tap it down with the heel of your hand (bit like battoning ?)

Open out the chix , place 'spit' along line between breasts, use smaller skewers to fasten chix on 'spit'..... sorry this is where the description really falls apart ??!

You should end up with the chicken partly opened out and 'flatter'. This allows the heat to get at both sides of the meat better, cooking quicker and more evenly. Also as the meat contracts and firms as it cooks it grips the smaller skewers and spit and helps reduce 'spinning'.

I'll try and put up a pic of a partridge I did the other week in garden with my Son.

Sorry if this makes no sense or is 'teaching egg sucking'

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
no, no egg sucking mate, I've never tried it before. I can see your point about splitting a chicken but a bit unsure about the skewers?

What would you do with a joint of beef or pork?

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
How to describe this in writing ? Oh well, here goes.....

..."Spatchcock" the chicken , this is just splitting down the spine. Can be done with those heavy kitchen scissors/shears , or , stand it up on one end with the legs uppermost, spine towards you and place tip of knife at top of spine and tap it down with the heel of your hand (bit like battoning ?)

Open out the chix , place 'spit' along line between breasts, use smaller skewers to fasten chix on 'spit'..... sorry this is where the description really falls apart ??!

You should end up with the chicken partly opened out and 'flatter'. This allows the heat to get at both sides of the meat better, cooking quicker and more evenly. Also as the meat contracts and firms as it cooks it grips the smaller skewers and spit and helps reduce 'spinning'.

I'll try and put up a pic of a partridge I did the other week in garden with my Son.

Sorry if this makes no sense or is 'teaching egg sucking'

Yeah the pics would really help as your description sounds really impressive, but I just can't visuallise what your doing.

Is it similar to panassing?

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
IMG_2337.jpg

Hope this has worked ?

Not the tidiest of examples, it was done under verbal instruction by my 10 yo son. Tasted delicious when done though , so still a very proud Dad !

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Hmm, well I don't want to be carrying more than I have to so I'll have to find a suitable spit in the woods. Rather than drilling it, i guess I could split it for 8 - 10" and push the skewers through the chicken / joint and the split in the spit. Good point about stopping the spit from turning, could be quite tricky I guess!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Still can't figure out how to get these pics smaller ?!?! Sorry.

Thanks wolfcub, looks good but still not sure how you managed it lol, Hopefuly I'll work it out when I come to it. You never know, it might have to wait until next weekend looking at the weather!

Get a piece of willow about an inch thick and about 4 foot long. T ie some spruce root or willow bark cordage about 18 to 24 inches down the shaft and split that end of the willow shaft down the centre until the cordage stops the split. Put one side of the split willow up through the cavity of the chicken and out through the neck end and tie it off with more cordage (A la Ray Mears cooking salmon) and roast it that way over the fire. A traditional roast of meat can also be done in a very similar way. simply sharpen both sides if the split willow and pust the sharp points through the meat, leaving a gap of about 2 inches between the points. Once through, tie the two points as close together as you can. the two prongs going through the meat stop it spinning of it's own accord.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmm, well I don't want to be carrying more than I have to so I'll have to find a suitable spit in the woods. Rather than drilling it, i guess I could split it for 8 - 10" and push the skewers through the chicken / joint and the split in the spit. Good point about stopping the spit from turning, could be quite tricky I guess!

Ahh... Having just done a pig with Bernie at Middlewood I was thinking of larger scale.

Easy way is to split a stick, or use two, put skewers through and between the sticks or through the split and then bind it at each end of the food.

If the food is Spatchcocked first it tends to be easier because the food is mainly cooked on two sides so it can be rigged so that it only needs two positions for turning.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
ok, got it, as long as the weather doesn't take a turn for the worse we're going in a bit!

I've thought of a way to stop the spit from turning, it involves tieing a stick over the top of the spit (across the points of the "y" stick) to put friction on the spit. I'll let you know how it goes, probably with pics.

Thanks for the advise.

Richard.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Ahh... Having just done a pig with Bernie at Middlewood I was thinking of larger scale.

Easy way is to split a stick, or use two, put skewers through and between the sticks or through the split and then bind it at each end of the food.

If the food is Spatchcocked first it tends to be easier because the food is mainly cooked on two sides so it can be rigged so that it only needs two positions for turning.

Is that the same way that RM demonstated when he cooked off some salmon he caught out in Sweden? Sounds nice and simple, and would probably be the way I'd try and cook something outside.

Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE