Spindle berry

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oct30492.jpg
[/IMG]

Saw a spindle bush when out walking. Not very common round here.

They are called that not because of the distinctive shape of the berries, but because the wood used to be used to make spindles.

why was this? is it a special wood?

And how would I cultivate the seeds? just stick them in my hedge?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a very fine grained wood, nice for something delicate like spindles. I would germinate the seets in a little compost

They do like an alkaline (chalk) soil so you may need to prep the soil subject to your local conditions

On a point of note, the orange seeds inside the beautiful pink seed cases are HIGHLY toxic

spindletree2sd.jpg

Red

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its limestone round here.

But theres lots of fine grained woods, isnt there. Holly, or Box, or beech.

If anyone wants to try to cultivate some, I could get you more berries if you wish.

Thanks for posting the pictures guys.

It is the first time this autumn that I have noticed this tree and I'm surprised at how common they are in local hedgerows.

The berrys look stunning. Had to point out to my son that they were prolly dangerous - thanks for highlighting the fact that they are highly toxic.

Phil.

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Was down at Merthyr Mawer (spelling ?) near Cardiff 'Sand Sledging' with the kids a couple of weeks ago. The place is covered with Spindle Berrys and Sea Buckthorn. Didn't know what they were up until then. An information board in the Car Park identified them and pointed out that they were poisonous.
Interesting to hear where the name came from though.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Thats right, it has wonderful grain and is a wonderful wood. That aren't the most common of trees (some would call them a scrub) and if you see come across a big one then you are in like as they are 100's of years old. You will find the biggest in ancient woodland - protected from 20th century agriculture.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Just a bit more info on this delightful shrub/ tree;

European Spindle Tree (Euonymus europaeus)

Some detail on the poisonous nature of the plant to bear in mind when considering the possible medicinal properties of the plant linked in the first site;

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System - European spindletree (Euonymous europaeus)

Quick summary:
General poisoning notes:

European spindletree (Euonymous europaeus) is an ornamental shrub that can grow in the warmer parts of Canada. The shrub has poisoned children as well as goats, horses, and sheep. Children are attracted to the mature fleshy orange fruits, which contain seeds with cardiac glycosides and alkaloids. Children have become quite ill. Fatal poisoning has occurred in two horses after they ingested shoots of this plant (Frohne and Pfander 1983, Cooper and Johnson 1984, Lampe and McCann 1985).

References:

Cooper, M. R., Johnson, A. W. 1984. Poisonous plants in Britain and their effects on animals and man. Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, England. 305 pp.

Frohne, D., Pfander, H. J. 1983. A colour atlas of poisonous plants. Wolfe Publishing Ltd., London, England. 291 pp.

Lampe, K. F., McCann, M. A. 1985. AMA Handbook of poisonous and injurious plants. American Medical Assoc. Chicago, Ill., USA. 432 pp.
It is often found in formal landscaping and gardens where you also find evergreen cultivars from Japan etc planted for their autumn colour and wonderful berries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE