Spear fishing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Couldnt really decide which section to post this in as there is no bush involved but here goes... I really fancy going spear fishing this summer. especially now the weather is getting warmer. i know that my old man used to go alot back in the day. catching bass, pollack etc.. just wondered if it was anything anybody on here had an interest in?? any good locations etc... i'm in south wales but would travel to a decent location(within reason).

(please feel free to move this mods. like i said, wasnt really sure where to post)

Thanks all!!

Dan:D

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Good post Dan, I have a mate who is into diving, and knows the area (south wales) well i will try to find out off him next week, Given the coast line we have around here i would not have thought you would have had to travel far.

May 27, 2008
Winchester
i'm pretty certain that in the uk spear fishing is illegal same as bow fishing

i'd check the law on it otherwise you could end out with a really expensive fish supper

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
i'm pretty certain that in the uk spear fishing is illegal same as bow fishing

i'd check the law on it otherwise you could end out with a really expensive fish supper

It is totally legal in the sea In the uk. Freshwater you need landowners permission. Why anyone would want to go fishing for spears is beyond me though lol :lmao:

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
I believe it's only illegal to spear fish with scuba kit on. I think you're ok free diving.

Only if it's changed since the beginning of River Cottage.. That was with like a spear gun thing though - I don't know if that's the same..

Dandy

Nov 2, 2010
Wales
I'd be carefulll in south and west Wales Bylaw 43 of SWSFC states foul hooking. Term foul hooking means by spear snatch etc

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
i'd reccomend not spearfishing down pembrokeshire as far as i'm aware its an marine reserve.
i've done some at portland and bagged 8 grey mullett in a couple of hours.sennen cove is lovelly.you may get lucky down the gower.
ade

spear fishing is not illegal in UK waters on scuba or free diving its only illegal in freashwater

usfull forum for spearfishing http://forums.deeperblue.com/

ther are even Spearfishing instructors tho all will be free diving

I used ot go night diving off swanage pier abpout sept time for flat fish using a hand spear ie a sharp pointy stick ;) had some nice plaice and large Sole etc

ATB

Duncan

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
wicked tread ! i`ve done it off Beer beach in devon and off the bill in portland. pembrokeshire is wicked to, i went around Saint Davids point...just learning, but loving it !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE