Sparrowhawk in my garden.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Got up this morning and looked out the window overlooking my garden and saw something sitting on the beech hedge. Couldn't tell what it was at first as it it was eating something but then he put his head up and with quick reference to a bird book, it was a Sparrowhawk.

I watched him for about 5 mins enjoying his breakfast, then I went to grab my camera and as I lifted it up to take a picture he flew away.

Went out in to the garden to see if I could see what he had been eating but there were only a few small greyish feathers floating in the breeze.

Going to keep my camera by that window I think in case he comes back.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Excellent. I had a close encouter yesterday. A sparrowhawk chased a blackbird through the trees whilst I was stood in the garden. It landed on a branch and sat staring at me for about thirty seconds.
I really enjoy seeing them, but a lot of people treat their garden birds like pets, and shoo off the hawks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They do have "favourite" spots. One hunts the fields at the back of us and regularly perches on the same telegraph pole...see her a few times a week, so you may well get lucky. They are great to watch in flight, really beautiful birds

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Always nice to see, we sometimes have one in the garden, the flying skills it has when chasing small birds through trees is stunning.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You know there is a sparrowhawk in the garden when all the other birds go quiet :) great colours they have too.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They always look so intense, the wee dangerous psyco in the group (Begbie from trainspotting). Amazes me the size of birds they'll take on too. One of the guys I used to work with used to have a regular supply of unfortunately dead sparrowhawks as the wee birds around his farm had learned to lure the sparrowhawks in a game of chicken to the big patio windows he's put in. Sad but shows the LBJ's can learn to fight back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE