Spark Lite

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Could you not make one up? Small tupper-ware box, cotton wool and the removable flint and striker rod from a Clipper (or type) lighter.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I actually have one, and it's surprisingly good. Neat, weighs almost nothing, really effective and doesn't care about the weather.
However, I've been looking for them for a couple of my friends who would also like them.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat find :D

Does that one come in the neat little box ? It just keeps it all together and simply available.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Too dear then :sigh:
I'm sure mine came in a group buy, on BB I think, a couple of years ago, brought in from N. America and I 'think' they were around the fiver.

Surely it's the sort of thing that ought to be available in the UK too :dunno:

cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Two minimum, but if the price is good then I'd get more and put them into rucksacs as useful things to have.

Might as well lay down the parametres.........I want green, boxed, and with the tinder quik twists too. About a fiver..........though tbh for all that's in them a couple of quid would seem a lot more reasonable.

cheers,
M

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
only place in the uk selling the version in the box that I can find is this company who sell it here.
only hitch is, thier asking £8.00 for it plus £3 shipping (although if you order more than one it goes up to £6) :eek:

every where else I've looked only seem to have the AMK version linked to by Shewie, which isn't what you are after.

hopefuly someone else will come up trumps, I quite like the look of the boxed version, but at £11 all in it's not worth it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read...........seems my original link is to the company started by the inventor :cool: , who is now in his eighties and still active :D , and that they come with a lifetime guarantee :approve: Seems that one of the original prototypes had replaceable flints too....

I wonder if a group buy would be worth finding out about ? 'cos I agree; good kit though they are, £11 is too expensive.

Wonder if we could persuade Tony to stock them in the shop ?

cheers,
Toddy

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Been looking for these at a reasonable price for ages and cant find to use with students as a replacement for a clipper wheel. Nice looking work well but far too much for an orange flint wheel. Gave up in the end and gone back to buying clippers although i did try and source just the flint and wheel but came up on a dead end so would be intrested if someone had an avenue for buying a large batch of just them on there own.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Mastino:)

I have tried that kind but it's too much bother, it's more awkward to use and doesn't come in a tidy wee package that tucks away holding everything together.
Now there's something, coming from me :rolleyes:
I think it's the rant that sets my teeth on edge too.

I do agree that the tinder is expensive but it's fairly straightfoward to make replacements, and besides, each wee twist will easily make four starts anyway.

Thanks also, SimonM :cool:

cheers,
M

pwb

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread Toddy, but I see that the aluminium Spark-Lites with the replaceable flints are being remade although I can't find a UK source :(.

Also looking again at the very first version of the Spark-Lite , the brass one, does seem to look very much like a Coleman Lantern Ignitor.

Original Spark-Lite :
2-HandedSpark-LiteSideTwo.ForSite.jpg

just a shortened shaft and without the mounting bracket ,a pretty low price too $4.00.

Might be worth adapting one :thinkerg:. Just need to find a UK source for these lantern igniters now :rolleyes:.

Cheers,
Pete.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE