Spark Lite

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Toddy,

I have over the years used lots of the plastic Spark-Lites and they work fine, especially with cotton wool and Vaseline or the little tinder bits that come in the kit.

The down side to the Spark-lites is that the ferrocium flint oxidizes away over time and when you spin the wheel, nothing happens:(

They now have the improved metal (aluminum) version with a replaceable flint, that will last forever as a sparker. I just bought a kit with the metal Spark-lite and I am very happy with it. It is not the only firemaking tool I carry but it is light, small and reliable as long as you carry the wrench provided and a spare flint or two.

I am not sure of a UK source but you may want to email Four Seasons and ask if there is a UK dealer, I am sure they can tell you as they are the manufacturer of the Spark-lite.
Hope that helps. Cheers!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread Toddy, but I see that the aluminium Spark-Lites with the replaceable flints are being remade although I can't find a UK source :(.

Also looking again at the very first version of the Spark-Lite , the brass one, does seem to look very much like a Coleman Lantern Ignitor.

Original Spark-Lite :
2-HandedSpark-LiteSideTwo.ForSite.jpg

just a shortened shaft and without the mounting bracket ,a pretty low price too $4.00.

Might be worth adapting one :thinkerg:. Just need to find a UK source for these lantern igniters now :rolleyes:.

Cheers,
Pete.

Pete,

It sure looks like a little reengineering on that Coleman igniter and you could pretty nearly re-create the original Spark-Lite. I just may try that as a time consumer on a rainy Saturday! Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE