Southdowns way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am off with a mate to walk south downs way tomorrow, will be out for four days I expect.

I am taking the followning items

1x first aid kit
1x sleeping bag
1x head torch
1x billy can
1x laplander
1xmora
4ltrs of water
1x coleman peak stove and 1ltr of fuel
1x wash kit
1x dry clothes
1x waterproofs
1x compass
1x thermarest prolite
maps

I was going to bivvy, but as my mate is coming we are taking a tent, which we will split between us. Have I missed anything vital? I haven't thought about food yet, any recomendations??? What is good to keep you going and easy to prep? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Buckley

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Be caerful if doing the Exton and Beacon Hill bit - go down the hill (towards Exton away from Beacon Hill) - its a steep pull the other way. Beware the bullocks in a field round there.

I'd suggest some food!

Gloves and hat for sure in this weather

Spoon and fork?

I'd be careful though - I'm not sure there are enough legitimate campsites on the route you are taking - unless you have agreed them up front?

Red

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I agree with Red there is not many places to camp and many farmers will move you on, you might be ok at this time of year though. I would forget the tent and use tarps.

There is a very aggressive and trigger happy farmer with land between Chichester and Petersfield. He has been had up a couple times for his aggression and the threatening use of his shot gun. Actually this guy owns land on Chalton Down so you should miss him by a couple of KM.

Water can be an issue on the downs too as it just soaks into the rock.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi,

We where intending to catch a train to brighton, and walk the route suggested in the national trail guide. I was told that wild camping wouldn't be a problems, but it sounds like it will be

I heard that there where loads of campsites on the way, bar hampshire/winchester? Do you think there is a real risk of being moved on constantly?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE