South Downs Walk 7-12-2011

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed a great day out today with Hugo, we went on a bit of bimble up over the Downs around Steyning, had a great time, we only walked about 4.5 miles, and man alive was that wind cold, was nice once we got on the lee slope and out of the cold.

DSCN1479.jpg

walking up the cut, looking at some old maps of the area, it's more likely to be an old droveway,

DSCN1480.jpg

as Hugo commented, in places the plant life was like the Amazon

DSCN1485.jpg

We found a few camps that the local kids had made, this one was great, well made and not a great deal of rubbish left laying around, even the woodpile inside was well stacked and neat and tidy.

DSCN1483.jpg

just round the corner though we found this one, flailing in the wind

DSCN1487.jpg

made from builders plastic and polyprop rope, they did have a great fire pit though with a grate on it about 3-4ft long, we did enjoy the method of attachment they used to tie the ropes to the trees :)

DSCN1490.jpg

We took this one down and left the ropes and plastic sheeting under a log.

a while later i showed Hugo the wikiup, this was made a couple of years ago by some of the local kiddywinks, but it's pretty well built and is still strong, it must have taken them an age to make it though, as the entire thing is made from dead wood, there is little evidence in the immediate area of anything being cut down to make the camp, to give you an idea of the size, im 6ft and can stand bolt upright in it.

DSCN1492.jpg

after this we headed down slope and back towards the cars, well with a small diversion for some materials eh Hugo:rolleyes:, i had a great day out and am already looking forward to the next trip, thanks for your company Hugo.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I had a great time Kepis, I have booked a room for the night in the wikiup at a later date, just for the crack of it.
Nice pictures by the way.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i would think you would pretty snug in that wikiup, even after the rain last night it looked fairly dry in there today

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE