Sources of essential vitamins in the wild?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I know they must be out there but I'm buggered if I know where?
:(

So what foods available in the wilds of the UK contain good sources for vitamins and minerals?

cheers

Andy

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
pine-needle tea. Extract from Wiki

The soft, moist, white inner bark (cambium) found clinging to the woody outer bark is edible and very high in vitamins A and C. It can be eaten raw in slices as a snack or dried and ground up into a powder for use as a thickener in stews, soups, and other foods, such as Finnish pine bark bread (pettuleipä). Adirondack Indians got their name from the Mohawk Indian word atirú:taks, meaning "tree eaters".

A tea made by steeping young, green pine needles in boiling water (known as "tallstrunt" in Sweden) is high in vitamins A and C.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nettles, Watercress and Dandelions are rammed with good vitamins, not sure which ones but I think Watercress is amongst the most useful.

Toddy will have a good list

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Hi Andy,

I had a quick look in my new hedgerow medicine book.

Bilberry, cherry, chickweed, dandelion, nettle, sheperds purse, rosehips

I'm sure there are loads more

Cheers
Ness :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seaweeds are excellent sources of both vitamins and some minerals. The bladderwrack gives a source of B12 for instance, and many are good for iodine, etc.,

Vitamin C is relatively straight forward even in Winter, the kale manages to survive the cold and wet, but all of the fruits, haws, hips and drupes have this one. Thing is that the body doesn't store it so we need it renewed all the time.
With insufficient vitamin C iron absorption isn't as effective as it ought to be and (I think) calcium processing isn't all it could be either.
Lots of iron rich green leaves around, like the docks (sorrel) and nettles.
Fat hen, good king Henry, chickweed, bittercress, cuckooflower (lady's smock) are all Vit C rich and all again are good sources of multiple minerals.
Horsetail (equistum arvense, make sure it's this one and only use the green infertile stems) is an excellent source of not only silcates (supposed to aid muscle, cartilage and bone, hair and nail growth and repair)but also trace minerals such as potassium and manganese.
Be a bit wary of horsetail unless your diet is rich in B vitamins however.

Raspberry & strawberry leaves, parsley, red clover, dandelion, mallow, burdock root....

This is going to take forever.
I'm thinking that this whole question might be easier if we just started with a list of the vitamins and minerals, and folks named plants we knew contained them. That way we might get a range for each that would cover the whole year.

Yes ? No ?

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This is going to take forever.
I'm thinking that this whole question might be easier if we just started with a list of the vitamins and minerals, and folks named plants we knew contained them. That way we might get a range for each that would cover the whole year.

Yes ? No ?

cheers,
Toddy

That sounds like a great plan.

I've often wondered why there isn't a decent foraging calendar on here, having one place to reference it all would be great.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Good idea Toddy.

Vitamins:

A
B
C
D
E

minerals:

iron
magnesium
zinc
iodine
copper
manganese
chromium
selenium (brazil nuts ;) )
potassium
phosphorus
folic acid

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Vitamins:

A
B1 (thiamine) - Black Grouse, Grouse, Capercaillie, Frogs
B2 (riboflavin) - Black Grouse, Grouse, Capercaillie, Roe Deer, Frogs
B3 (niacin) - Black Grouse, Grouse, Capercaillie, Hare, Crayfish, Frogs
C - Wood Sorrel, Cow Parsley, Rosehip, Fat Hen, Good King Henry, Chickweed, Bittercress, Cuckooflower (lady's smock), Dandelion (young leaves), Scots Pine (needles)
D
E

minerals:

iron - Sorrel, Nettles
magnesium
zinc
iodine
copper
manganese
chromium
selenium (brazil nuts ;) )
potassium
phosphorus
folic acid

Last edited:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
In an outdoor situation I'd have thought that Vitamin D would be produced more effectively by exposure to sunlight than by diet.
I've read that nuts and seeds contain vitamin E but I don't know which and how much.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very neatly done Sandbender :D

VITAMINS:
A - Kale, dandelions, mustard family greens, cabage family greens.
C - Wood Sorrel, Cow Parsley, Rosehip, Fat Hen, Good King Henry, Chickweed, Bittercress, Cuckooflower (lady's smock), Dandelion (young leaves), Scots Pine (needles)
D - 15-20 minutes a day of strong sunlight on the fair skinned will produce enough :)
however, D comes as D2 and D3. D2 is animal based, while D3 can be obtained from yeast. Mushrooms that have grown in full sun provide a very good source too. Indeed mushrooms are now exposed to UVB light to make sure that the bought ones carry that extra nutritional value.
E

MINERALS:
iron - Sorrel, Nettles
magnesium
zinc
iodine
copper
manganese

chromiumselenium (brazil nuts ;) )
potassium
phosphorus
folic acid

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But what about the two groups,

fat vitamins A, D, E, K

the body stores, in the liver. (but I wouldnt eat the liver of a predator; as they have too much vitamin A, a dreadful poison if overeaten...in fact most vitamins are deadly in high doses)

Water vitamins. C and B

which you dont store, hence need a fairly regular supply.

BOD

VITAMINS:
A - Kale, dandelions, mustard family greens, cabage family greens, liver.
C - Wood Sorrel, Cow Parsley, Rosehip, Fat Hen, Good King Henry, Chickweed, Bittercress, Cuckooflower (lady's smock), Dandelion (young leaves), Scots Pine (needles); non-primate animals
D - 15-20 minutes a day of strong sunlight on the fair skinned will produce enough
however, D comes as D2 and D3. D2 is animal based, while D3 can be obtained from yeast. Mushrooms that have grown in full sun provide a very good source too. Indeed mushrooms are now exposed to UVB light to make sure that the bought ones carry that extra nutritional value.
E- animals and plants
K -many plants and liver egg yolks

MINERALS:
iron - Sorrel, Nettles
magnesium
zinc
iodine
copper
manganese
chromiumselenium (brazil nuts )
potassium
phosphorus
folic acid

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE