SotP Group buy tipi's- attaching guy lines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Just wondered how all of you guys with your brand new bison tipis had attached the guys lines and the cowell on the top? What are the tabs with the two eyelets for near the bottom? Any suggesstions on the correct way to rig it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
I was trying to figure that one out too.
I ended up tying off the guy lines at the top loop and using the bottom holes in the webbing strip to tie off the top-cap. My picture on the groupbuy thread show it.

Not saying this is the corect way but it seems to work. Open to suggestions.

I also have a question: What are the loops on the inside, about half way up, used for?

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Mr_Rimps said:
I was trying to figure that one out too.
I ended up tying off the guy lines at the top loop and using the bottom holes in the webbing strip to tie off the top-cap. My picture on the groupbuy thread show it.

Not saying this is the corect way but it seems to work. Open to suggestions.

I also have a question: What are the loops on the inside, about half way up, used for?
That's how I set mine up and it works ok, although also open to any better suggestions.

As for the loops on the inside I'm pretty sure they are for hanging stuff, light,small bag etc.

As a thought they could be used if you decide to make your own inner tent to attach the inner to outer.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
what i did was, for the guy lines, tie one end at the top point, half way up the tent. Untie the knot at the end with the slider, remove the cord from the end hole and thread it through the the bottom of the two holes on the tent, then thread the end of the cord back through the free hole on the slider and tie a stopper knot, you then have an adjustable (and strong,trust me :D ) guy line (took me about 30 mins to do all 11 lines. As for the hat lines, i've bought a load of those mini karabiners, cliped them to the top of the two holes on the tent, then tied the hat lines to the karabiners. This means that when i have to move the hat, due to change of wind or even just shuting down, i'm not faffing about tying and untying cord, unclip, move, clip. Easy.
These tipis really do stand up to the weather, mine survived the strong (60-70mph) winds three weeks ago.
Hope this helps
Baggins

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Sorry to give this a bump, anyone else had a chance to play with their tipi's and found any other solutions for the guy lines?

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Ok, iv'e had mine up all day and just got back in from packing it away.
The guys have loads of springy tangles when you unravel them so i undid the single granny knot on the plastic gripper and untangled each one and did them back up with a double granny just to stop the string comming through the hole.

I don't think the webbing straps with the eyelets are used in conjunction with the main guys but are used for tying off the top hat.
I struggled for ages with different configerations but eventually settled on one method. On the plastic gripper there is a small loop of string. Pull the string through that as this will be your harness point for the peg. You should have 2 lenghts of string below the gripper and 3 above. The gripper works tentioning the bottom point and top by pulling the gripper down towards the floor instead of the generic upwards motion associated with tents.
I don't have a camera at present so can't do pics.

The 2 straps inside the tent are there to stop you overstretching it and to give you a central point for the pole when taught.
The tabs all the way around the inside of the tent are for attatching the inner to when it comes out but could be used for a LIGHT washing line with not much more than a wet jacket hanging.
I will be on the lookout for some pole grips that i can hang stuff from. Like a 10 inch rod of metal a centimetre thick with a hollow circluar bit on the end for putting the pole through it will probably have a thumbscrew through the circular bit to grip the pole. Anyone seen any?
Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but when pegging out you have a strap and a loop. leave only enough of the strap to grasp with your fingers and peg out. Then, when you need to pull the tent closer to the ground go round pulling the straps which pulls the tent closer to the ground, ( you'll see ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE