Sorry, another 'which jacket/smock' question!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
I know, I know, but either the discussions here were old or not quite what I'm after.

So what am I after?

Jacket or Smock.
Quiet (highly important).
Waterproof (showerproof at least).
Spark resistant.
Budget £150.

I'd love for money not to be an issue and I'd go out and buy a Sawzi Tahr or Kagoule but sadly that is not the case!

I'm after something I can put on for sitting around a campfire or whilst sat watching badgers etc. Would be nice if it was breathable so I could use it for canoeing too. Doesn't need to be warm as it's going to be an outer layer but needs to be quiet, resist at least heavy showers, withstand the odd spark and generally being abused.

Jack Pyke Argyll, Ridgeline Monsoon (probably the classic due to price) type of thing - although I'm open to jackets too!

Just wondered what people had actually used and what they thought of them?

Of course, if anyone has an old Tahr they want to sell for £150 just let me know! :D

Thanks for your input.

Mike.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Wax this, or squirt with nikwax cotton treatment, maybe :) Mind, I am not sure it needs even that

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
The question is unanswerable and it is a quest that you will enjoy.
I've been messing with wild camping for 30+?? years and have yet to find my ideal outer layer, but I have got pretty close.

The Sarma windproof smock does everything i need at this moment in time.
Cheap, meaning easily replaced so i don't have to worry about trashing it.
well made, good zips and pockets.
Great storage options,
does a good job as a windproof.
Sizing is pretty exact in regular, if you like a little more bagginess order the Long version.
it is not water proof but I don't need mine to be, you could try nikwax or fabsil or wax to help with this.

There are a couple of Jacket options they offer and I would also look at the trousers too.
Only neg really is that they are limited colour options, but i'm not fussed.

Up until a few days ago I would have recommended Helikons bushcraft range, but i have a few pairs of SFU Next trousers which are a fantastic design but the stitching is garbage and I have 2 or 3 places where the stitching has come undone. I cant imagine anything else clothing wise by helikon is going to be much better long term. A real shame.

Good luck on your quest, Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
That looks very nice too - thanks bobnewboy. I also have a Moles near us so I might be able to take a look. Of course, it's probably shut for the next few months now!

Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
Turns out they are an essential store so I might be able to go in and take a look!

Would anyone have any suggestions for something a little longer? That I could sit on the tail of?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
An alternative is one of these:

I have one and find that it is my 'go to' top for anything and everything in the woods. It isn't waterproof per se but, with a little Greenland wax or equivalent, becomes functionally so. The sizing is good, the pockets and quality of manufacture excellent. I was surprised by mine when I bought it, as I don't like 'over-the-head' garments; this has altered my view on them entirely.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I shan’t skimp on boots or outer jacket as I’ve had them fail in the past.
However I’ve a ridgeline monsoon elite 2, I use it for canoeing,crafting & narrowboating.. it’s never failed.
It’s generous on the fit & very versatile,so I can layer up or down?
The monsoon classic is cheaper & heavier & a bit to hot for some, still a good smock for the colder months though.
By a good condition one second hand if you can.
Like most things, it’s made in China?

Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
I think the Monsoon Elite would be my top choice but it's just too pricey new - if I could find a used one I'd go that route for sure. But they don't seem to come up very often - which says a lot!

The Jack Pyke Argyll is my most likely purchase at the moment.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I know, I know, but either the discussions here were old or not quite what I'm after.

So what am I after?

Jacket or Smock.
Quiet (highly important).
Waterproof (showerproof at least).
Spark resistant.
Budget £150.

I'd love for money not to be an issue and I'd go out and buy a Sawzi Tahr or Kagoule but sadly that is not the case!

I'm after something I can put on for sitting around a campfire or whilst sat watching badgers etc. Would be nice if it was breathable so I could use it for canoeing too. Doesn't need to be warm as it's going to be an outer layer but needs to be quiet, resist at least heavy showers, withstand the odd spark and generally being abused.

Jack Pyke Argyll, Ridgeline Monsoon (probably the classic due to price) type of thing - although I'm open to jackets too!

Just wondered what people had actually used and what they thought of them?

Of course, if anyone has an old Tahr they want to sell for £150 just let me know! :D

Thanks for your input.

Mike.
Hi Mike
I have a swazi kagoule in a size large that I have been thinking about maybe moving on , what size you looking for ?

Phil

Reactions: Ed the Ted
Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
Actually, having spent most of the day thinking and reading about this, I think I need something more like the Sarma Outdoor Jacket than a very nice waterproof like the Swazi Kagoule.

I really want it to be tough enough to roll around on the ground in and cook by a fire. I'd be too worried about a Swazi Kagoule to do that. I think it needs to be cotton based really.

So thank you for the potential offer Phil. I'm sure you'll make someones 2021 if you do decide to get rid of it though!

Now, if anyone has a Ventile smock or jacket they want to get rid of?!?!? :)

Reactions: salad

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Actually, having spent most of the day thinking and reading about this, I think I need something more like the Sarma Outdoor Jacket than a very nice waterproof like the Swazi Kagoule.

I really want it to be tough enough to roll around on the ground in and cook by a fire. I'd be too worried about a Swazi Kagoule to do that. I think it needs to be cotton based really.

So thank you for the potential offer Phil. I'm sure you'll make someones 2021 if you do decide to get rid of it though!

Now, if anyone has a Ventile smock or jacket they want to get rid of?!?!? :)
Rolling about either intentionally or unintentionally happens to me quite a bit during the Muddy months. I could never Justify the price of ventile and for the stories of unhappy users put me off. Or even find one with all the features I wanted. where I go I don't have to roll around to trash things pretty quickly. I have deep hatred for brambles. I tried Fjallraven and some other brands but no. Dodge the PCS MTP smocks as well as the pockets rip off and the pocket zips chafe your hips like mad and wear out the fabric. Happy Hunting :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE