Soot on inside of mess tins?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 11, 2011
Cornwall
Hi guys,

I've recently bought an east german mess kit, and it's really great for my needs; but i've noticed that after boiling water in it, there appears to be soot on the inside of the tin.

Obviously there's lots on the bottom of the tins from my alcohol stove, but how could it get on the bottom of the inside? I was thinking maybe it isn't soot, but then thought because it's aluminium I hope it's not burning the metal or something, I don't want to be eating aluminium :p.

If this has happened to any of you or you know what it is, I'd really appreciate it if you could help.

Thanks everyone! :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As the hot air rises around the tin it swirls over the inside and more than likely deposits some soot.

Easily solved by putting a lid on the pot :)

Feb 11, 2011
Cornwall
Thanks for the speedy reply guys! Wouldn't it be bad if it was oxidisation southey or is that just something that happens normally.

I hope you're right Mesquite, I'll have to clean it out and test it with the lid on. I suppose it could be a mixture of the two :)

Feb 1, 2011
shropshire
Yeah for sure use your lid to stop soot and muck building up inside your tins !! Also uses a lot less fuel !!! I also dilute my meths with about 5-10% water it helps to minimise soot build up on the underside of your tins and makes your fuel go further I've not really noticed any difference with the heat output of the fuel either !!!!But don't use to much water or the meths will not light of a spark !!!!!

Feb 11, 2011
Cornwall
I think there have been studies going either way on the alzhheimers issue, I suppose it depends on which you want to listen to. I just wanted to figure out what it was on the inside of the tin Andy :) But also didn't like the idea of eating aluminium oxide risks or not :p

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The link to alzheimer's has been shot down, no clinical/scientific evidence at all to support the claims, aluminium is safe to use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE