Song of the Paddle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Just finished Song of the Paddle by Bill Mason. It is all about wilderness camping in a canoe. It is a fabulous read even if you do not have and do not use a canoe. Although be warned if you read the book you will most likely end up with a canoe.

The book was written some time ago but is at least as useful today as when it was written. It is also interesting to read about low impact camping where the weight factor is not that important.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
That really is a very good book. His "Path of the Paddle" is also well worth reading. Makes me want a campfire tent everytime I read these.

I just finished "Fire in the Bones" a biography of Bill Mason and that really was good to fill in his life of canoeing and camping.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ok, when i tryed to get a copy a few years back neither were avalible.. but both are now in stock on amazon.. i cant afford both so which would you advise?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you got me thinking about a little song about going about in a canoe

my padlde's clean and bright flashing like silver
follow the wild goose flight
dip dip and swing
dip dip and swing

does the book concentrate of plants that grow near rivers?

MagiKelly

tomtom said:
ok, when i tryed to get a copy a few years back neither were avalible.. but both are now in stock on amazon.. i cant afford both so which would you advise?
I have both. Song of the Paddle is all about wilderness camping in a canoe where as Path of the Paddle is predominately about Canoe technique and paddle strokes. So from a Bushcraft point of view Song would definately be my first choice. It also covers the basic paddle strokes so is pretty complete in its own right. Of course if you enjoy Bill's style of writting you will eventually end up with both.

Oh and watch out when I checked on Amazon there were none in stock and you could only get it second hand for £45 :yikes: . I did a quick search on Google and it is available from loads of canoeing shops for about £16.

Schwert, Who wrote the biography was it Bill, his Son or someone else? And I know what you meen about the campfire tent, don't think it would suit the UK though.

And Andy it does not cover plants at all, just camping, fire lighting, kit etc.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
James Raffen wrote "Fire in the Bones"

This was a very good read. Very complimentary biography overall but a few of Bill's warts were revealed. I found it very good (library book). Many things I did not know about Bill and his family were covered. Fpr instance:

Bill was given massive doses of growth hormone as a child as he was failing to grow or mature. This was probably responsible for his early heart attack and possibly his early death.

This book reminds me to celebrate the life I have as you never can tell what is around the corner.

I just ran across it at the library doing a search on Bill and I am glad I read it, I probably will not buy it though. Path and Song are essential books in my view. They are pretty common on bookfinder or eBay for good prices...don't pay the big money.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
I've got both, as well as some of his videos (Whitewater Doubles and Solo, as well as the family camping trip).

I bought Song when I first started getting interested in canoeing, and love the book. The first thing I saw when I flicked through the pages in a canoe shop in North Wales was the plans for his fireboxes, to cook on open fires in the wilderness. I was sold!!

After getting more into canoeing, I then bought Path, which is a more technical book, and fully explains the strokes and other matters to do with paddling, but for me Song of the Paddle is still the excellent, inspirational book that I pick up first if I want to look at a canoeing book.

Enjoy!

Graham

MagiKelly

It is a difficult book to read. Every couple of sentances you have an overpowering urge to get out on a canoe and explore.

I am going to do just that tomorrow at Loch Lomond. Going to have a look at some of the islands at Balmaha then in a few weeks time go camping for a few days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE