sometimes the simple project are the harder ones

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
At the last sussex meet I started carving a net making needle, but when I took it home to finnish it, it broke. So today I went to a pieceful little woodland near where the wife keeps her horses and got started on making another one.
Now I found a nice pile of wood to work with, not sure what tree it is so if anyone can ID it for me that would be great.
5284d5e9-0fe7-073e.jpg

It was a nice day today so I was out without a coat or anything waterproof, however! I did take one of my cheap and simple basha's with me to give me a sence of place (dont ask me what make this basha is as i got it for a few pound on ebay a while back)
5284d5e9-1197-31c6.jpg

so I got started on making another needle and all was going well
5284d5e9-11fc-5118.jpg

as you do I got a brew on while I take a break, I thought I would use an old army hexi stove as a bit of a change and give the crusader and monkey boy stove the day off. (plus I like playing with different toys and I havent used my hexi burner in a long time)
5284d4b6-1332-bc67.jpg

so things was going well with my needle
5284d6cc-139c-0d80.jpg

until it broke 
5284d4b6-13d8-5bc4.jpg

never mind i got started on another one and will finnish it tomorrow.
5284d77e-14f6-0db6.jpg

it just shows that carving gorilla wands and horse head charms may look hard, something as simple looking as a net making needle can turn out to be the most enoying and harder project.

mb

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
so things was going well with my needle

until it broke 
5284d4b6-13d8-5bc4.jpg

Did you shape the needle before you started carving the inner section?

When I carve them I always leave the shaping of that part of the needle to the very end. That way there's a lot more material to provide support when you're cutting away the excess wood on the inner sections. :)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Did you shape the needle before you started carving the inner section?

When I carve them I always leave the shaping of that part of the needle to the very end. That way there's a lot more material to provide support when you're cutting away the excess wood on the inner sections. :)

yes maybe thats what im doing wrong, I will try again, im not giving up on it. thanx for the tip

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Lucky you mate. I'm on number 6 (I think) and got a tasty scar on my finger along the way. My thread turned up yesterday, just need to find a bit of time to finish the needle. Looking forward to getting my first net under my belt.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Lucky you mate. I'm on number 6 (I think) and got a tasty scar on my finger along the way. My thread turned up yesterday, just need to find a bit of time to finish the needle. Looking forward to getting my first net under my belt.

me to, im gonna buy some cordage today and make the othe peice :)

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Good to see you kept at it!

That reminds me I actually need to make another one as I'm getting out of practice. I actually haven't made one for the better part of 2 years now as I've been using one I made out of a branch my mum wanted cutting off a Maple tree she has in her garden.

I carved it green, then left it to dry by a window. I really like it, nice size to fit in my pocket and it's very light and absolutely solid. I was thinking of sanding it, but I like it's rough and ready look, plus it works fine so I haven't bothered.

I carved the inner section first as I do or now more did on all I've made, not that it really matters on maple I'd of thought as it's tough stuff.

And of course a photo for you:

I was the first thing I made with my main knife, my Enzo Trapper. Such a good knife for tasks like this!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE