Sometimes less is more....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mullein spindle hand drill, tinder fungus...12 seconds.

Cnv0026.jpg

It took longer to put this out, than it did to form.

Yes. it was direct into the chaga. Not much set up actually - just the fungus and a mullein stalk. I made a small depression with my knife to make a place to start the spindle. Handed the camera to my girlfriend and said go. Once again the video file size is too large for posting ( for reasons I have not yet figure out, if I edit the mpeg, its file size is autmatically increased ) therefore I will be re-filming this again very soon.

The most interesting thing about this was that after three passes down the shaft I had large amount of smoke pouring off and felt it was very likely that I had a coal. I layed my spindle down and waved at the fungus as you would with a dust pile coal - nothing ... A few faint wisps of smoke...I blew on it... nothing...yet still a few wisps of smoke...more blowing...after about 30 seconds a tiny coal emerged around the perimeter of the hole. The photo was taken about 60 seconds after I stopped drilling.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
I'm so intrigued by this. I have some tinder fungus, but have still to recognise mullein.

As with most plants, it is probably easier in the spring thru to autumn. Can anybody shed any light as to likely places to find it in the north west UK. Also tiips on ID'ing it.

Have managed a coal from hazel on hazel, first coal with out guidance, so relieved to have done it. Now just need to perfect my technique and reduce the amount of effort needed. :)

Thanks every1 for your input, and Jeff you seem to be a star at this fire by prettty much any method. Well done

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
hawsome34 said:
....have still to recognise mullein.

As with most plants, it is probably easier in the spring thru to autumn. Can anybody shed any light as to likely places to find it in the north west UK. Also tiips on ID'ing it.

.....hazel on hazel, first coal with out guidance, so relieved to have done it. Now just need to perfect my technique and reduce the amount of effort needed. :)

images
end of first year

images
end of 2nd year

Comes up pretty randomly in waste places with plenty of sun.

That hazel on hazel was that bow drill or hand drill? Very well done which ever but I would be particularly impressed if that was hand drill.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
rich59 said:
That hazel on hazel was that bow drill or hand drill? Very well done which ever but I would be particularly impressed if that was hand drill.

I found it hard enough with the bow drill, i think I managed it on my ummmm, bout 40th attempt. But was wellworthit, should have it down to every third or fourth attepmt within a week.

Thanks

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Jeff Wagner said:
Hi Biddlesby - Sorry mate, I didn't mean to step on your bowstring. Congrats on your success.

Don't worry, I meant it in a light-hearted way!

I've never seen drilling onto a fungus before....

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Just to celebrate my birthday today I thought I would try this speed hand drilling thing. I have never gone for speed before.

Elder on pine. Self timed by looking at second hand before starting and when stopped drilling. Consistently got a coal at about 16 seconds. That equated to 4 passes down the drill. 3 would nearly do it but not quite.

Watch out Jeff, the English are coming!!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Jeff Wagner said:
ATTABOY!! A longer shaft length seems to be helpful. More revs. per pass I assume.

As for the English coming....I'll hang a lantern in the North Church tower... :lmao:
I had to look that one up - a poem by a certain Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

I had a wisp of smoke at the end of the first pass, so that would have been at about 4 seconds. If only that could be converted to fire! I can see that drilling direct onto a tinder that will smoulder can cut down the time as you did.

Do you think you could get chaga to catch with 2 passes? That would be about 8 seconds.

Richard - to the best on my knowledge the prevailing record on this side on the pond is 6.5 seconds held by Alan Halcon - a much younger and more virile man than your's truly. Three passes down the shaft is the best I have been able to accomplish. 5 passes is much more common. My time ranges between 12 - 20 seconds.

I have come to relialize that time, like size, doesn't really matter. Its more about consistency....:)

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Jeff Wagner said:
The most interesting thing about this was that after three passes down the shaft I had large amount of smoke pouring off and felt it was very likely that I had a coal. I layed my spindle down and waved at the fungus as you would with a dust pile coal - nothing ... A few faint wisps of smoke...I blew on it... nothing...yet still a few wisps of smoke...more blowing...after about 30 seconds a tiny coal emerged around the perimeter of the hole. The photo was taken about 60 seconds after I stopped drilling.

I find this interesting as I made a giant pumpdrill for fire lighting and spent some minutes pumping away but all I seemed to get was a little smoke and very pale dust, more sawdust than anything else . I went to collect a cup of tea (obviously an Englishman), and on my return a few minutes later there was an ember in the dust.
Most odd.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I managed to get some flame without tinder - I had got the coal that I wanted, so I threw it onto the wet grass to put it out. To my suprise it burst into flame for about 3 seconds. Maybe a party trick where you casually fling the dust-enclosed ember over your shoulder into a pile of feather sticks to be developed?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE