Sometimes I just shake my head in despair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Of course there are - "stocking up" doesn't mean panic buying because there may be a few inches of snow. Stocking up means having a decent supply of staples and regularly used items - not rushing out because of the weather and buying up loads of stuff because you can't get through the weekend. As for the weekend shop - its the middle of the month - people get paid monthly now, not cash on a Friday - what is the point of a "weekly shop" these days?

I'm sure there is a small element of panic buying but I don't think its the main reason. 7 days of normal shopping have have been condensed into 4 and as I said, I've seen local supermarkets in almost as stripped states at normal times.

We stocked up this week-extra fresh veg stored outside and extra milk and bread in the freezer because next week was forecast snowy and our roads don't ever get gritted. No panic buy here, just being sensible and not wanting a dented vehicle from struggling to the shops.

I have snow chains, but my neighbours don't and they are snowed in with 2". 6" on those hilly welsh roads will make travel very tricky for days to come.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Of course there are - "stocking up" doesn't mean panic buying because there may be a few inches of snow. Stocking up means having a decent supply of staples and regularly used items - not rushing out because of the weather and buying up loads of stuff because you can't get through the weekend. As for the weekend shop - its the middle of the month - people get paid monthly now, not cash on a Friday - what is the point of a "weekly shop" these days?

While I do agree with you that this situation is stupid Red, I have to say that most fridges and freezers are still in Europe at least are designed around the weekly shop when it comes to capacity or a little smaller. I had a chat with a product designer who told me they are designed that way not because the size is about right but it encourages people to shop more as studys show middle income family's are more likely to shop when the fridge looks like it has more space free than occupied rather than when needed. He also said that they design the milk tray narrow at either end to encourage sales of non dairy products (Jar's of mayo beer etc) when it comes to units for sale in non appliance shops, next time your in a larger Asda or Tesco that sells fridges the closest chillable goods next to it are often White wine, Beer, Mayo etc.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Quite possibly so - but the weekly shop is an absurdity these days - both in terms of pay (people are paid monthly), cost (why burn all that fuel travelling each week), logistics (why not get a delivery once a month) etc.

I can accept that some people have small houses - but even my old terraced house had a walk in pantry - and we used the cupboard under the stairs too :)

Ahh well - I guess some people will always be surprised that it snows in the Winter.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BR I shop daily, never mind weekly. It's a ten minute walk to the next village to the supermarket. We have salad at least once a day, I buy fresh, we buy fresh milk, and meat for HWMBLT. It's hardly onerous or an expense in fuel. It's not uncommon, especially for folks with young families and school aged children; for the elderly it's a daily reason to get out the door and toddle down the road. They get into the supermarket and they meet friends and have a quiet blether, pick up something tasty that appeals to them for their tea, and toddle home again. I walked down a couple of hours ago and picked up neeps and apples and a bag of walnuts. I could have managed fine without them if needed, but there was no reason to do without.

Most folks do keep staples in the house, but most modern houses simply do not have storage for 'bulk' buying. We have always been paid monthly, but there's no way I'm buying a months fresh fruit and veg and storing it, nor a month's bread and cereal, butter, milk, cheese and meat. Some frozen is fine, but the butcher and the greengrocer are just down the road, I'd rather nip in and buy as I need it.

Different folks, different strokes.

Toddy

Last edited:

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
I'm sure there is a small element of panic buying but I don't think its the main reason. 7 days of normal shopping have have been condensed into 4 and as I said, I've seen local supermarkets in almost as stripped states at normal times.

We stocked up this week-extra fresh veg stored outside and extra milk and bread in the freezer because next week was forecast snowy and our roads don't ever get gritted. No panic buy here, just being sensible and not wanting a dented vehicle from struggling to the shops.

I have snow chains, but my neighbours don't and they are snowed in with 2". 6" on those hilly welsh roads will make travel very tricky for days to come.

snowed in with 2"? thats a monday morning excuse that!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Asda Aberdare ran out of bread by midday yesterday but got more in later, there was bread in Tesco Aberdare from the instore bakery but fresh produce had been cleared and Iceland store sold out of frozen peas lol.

Most people shop more than once a week, certainly visit the supermarket more than once a week. I do bulk buy but get to the butchers once a week, supermarket/shops/market two or three times a week for bits and bobs.

'Panic buying' is not new or just in Wales, I worked for Tesco as a lad when Sunblest/Mothers Pride Bakers went on strike in the Midlands, our superstore had a bakery and we had to limit people to one loaf but found they'd go out to the car and pack then back in the shop add a couple of tins to their trolley and line up for more bread. There was a sugar shortage, can't remember why around 1975 and same thing people went crazy buying up sugar. WW2 people bought whatever they could get hands on; its human nature to stock up if it looks like problems are ahead.

Most people don't have room to bulk buy and store, no room in modern houses (or many old for that matter). Most people don't know or really want to know how to bake bread, are they 'bad' people for not knowing or wanting to know? Of course not. Some of us here prep, have stores, are smallholders and can bake but we should not look down on others who go for a bit of panic buying.

We (South Wales) were issued a red triangle weather warning, thats rare.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Different strokes for different strokes exactly.

Weekly shops make sense for lots of reasons for lots of people.

My 93 year old grandmother who bless her, cannot get to the shops anymore and needs looking after weekly. We do her shopping. Why do a months shop for her when a weeks shop saves money and is easier to carry on foot in bags? Not everyone has vehicles, not everyone can afford to shop at Occado to avoid getting crap veggies delivered. Some people drive past the supermarket every day, some get fuel from the supermarket- so its no extra mileage. Some, myself included, are not paid monthly. I'm self employed and get paid at random times. Some make use of the constant cold conditions to store extra food easily outside and save extra trips to the supermarket.

We had to stock up me Nan because if we didn't, not being able to get there to buy her food would leave her potentially starving.

Whilst this is not an everyday situation, its not isolated either. I'm not taking this personally, just trying to give an alternative view of things.

I'd love for somebody to explain to me why my family and others who fall into the above situations and do weekly shopping/ preparing for disruptive snow puts us into the 'Absurd' and 'Synaptically challenged" bracket? :)

Nearly 70 million people in the UK, thats 70 million differenent ways of living and shopping.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We had to stock up me Nan because if we didn't, not being able to get there to buy her food would leave her potentially starving.

Thats why I shake my head. Because people are potentially starving because of a predictable fall of snow.

I don't see the need to be so vulnerable to a minor supply chain hiccup in a world of freezers and cheap tinned food.

Thats probably just the boy scout in me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't like frozen food much, and we don't eat much tinned stuff either. I do keep some, but it's usually 'store cupboard might be useful', not everyday dinner making, stuff, iimmc.

I know of elderly neighbours who consider both to be 'poor' food, and feel sympathy for those who have no option. Tinned food is often not good for them anyway, often full of salt and sugar that they're supposed to avoid. They do keep dried foods, like cereals, broth mix, flours and sugar, the usual staples, but they expect bread, milk, fruit, vegetables, meat and fish to be fresh. Lot of younger folks think the same way; especially when feeding a family.
I know I did.
I got rid of the chest freezer this Autumn when I realised I hadn't seen the bottom of it for a year :rolleyes: :eek:

I can't imagine not keeping a good pantry, but that's my choice, my habit, but each to their own, and I make no apologies for shopping for fresh food often.

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats why I shake my head. Because people are potentially starving because of a predictable fall of snow.

I don't see the need to be so vulnerable to a minor supply chain hiccup in a world of freezers and cheap tinned food.

Thats probably just the boy scout in me.

While I understand and agree with your point, I have to ask how they're really any different from those who didn't fore-see the panic buying and stock up beforehand?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Jeez, panic buying in west Yorks leaves the alcohol aisles empty. Not much else needed. Water on tap, and can survive without food for at least 3 weeks. Booze on the other hand...... :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<chuckle>

Well as you guys say - each to their own. I wonder how those people will be doing if the supermarket trucks can't get through for a week or two? Still - as you say - the people made their own choices. I am reminded of a man cursing the electricity board in storms a few years ago because "his kids hadn't had a hot meal in three days" - as though the weather was their fault. Doubtless if the local bakers run out of flour it'll be the bakers fault this time :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, the lack of prompt return of service however was their responsibility.
We no longer liev in a filthy world where every home burned fossil fuels on a daily basis.
I well remember soot filled rain; and folks ill with smog and polluted air, electricity is very useful stuff :D

Most people are very comfortable being part of the 'system'; you aren't; fair enough, but when the Met issues Red warnings folks take heed and do prepare as best they can. If that includes a hasty visit to the supermarket to stock up, then so be it.
For virtually all the rest of the time it is totally unnecessary.

M

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
We don't have a freezer, just a fridge and what basically amounts to one and a 'half' cupboards to store food in.. we go shopping whenever we need food and have the money to buy it, which can be daily at times. we did our shopping for the weekend today for the simple fact that we don't want to go out in the snow if we don't have to.. our car is likely to blow up at any point as it is :) some people just don't have the money or means to stock up for a month at a time so getting a bit of extra veg when heavy snow is forcast till feb is not really that surprising :)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
The fridge where I'm renting at the moment is absolute crap... so I try not to use it for perishables.

Just think about that for a moment... a fridge that I try not to use it for perishables...:rolleyes:

When I lived in Paris and in NJ, I used to walk past, or drive past, a supermarket every day to and from work... stopping off for fresh fruit, veg and milk was not adding a trip to my weekly fuel consumption, and it meant we had fresh stuff all the time.

Right now, I don't work, so I don't have that obligatory daily trip, and as a result I try to limit my trips to buy food. I buy once every three or four days for perishables like milk and meat, once every two weeks for cheese, every other day for bread.

At this time of year, fruit and veg can stay in the front porch, where it is a stable 0°C to 4°C... better than the fridge, which is a pitiful 4°C on the bottom shelf and 10°C on the top shelf!

We have almost 2" of snow right now, and I'll be walking into town with my son tomorrow to get fresh pastries and bread for SWMBO's and her sister's breakfasts.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Why does anyone need a fridge or freezer when its snowing and temp not expected to get above 0c for at least a week.?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Why does anyone need a fridge or freezer when its snowing and temp not expected to get above 0c for at least a week.?

Well, the fridge door shuts tightly enough to make sure that mice don't nibble through the food?

Because there is only a finite amount of space in the front porch, and it's currently taken up with shoes, firewood, a crate of apples and a crate of satsumas?

The top shelf of the fridge, at 10°C, is a better temperature for the dark beer than the 0°C we have at the moment?
(Pale beers and lagers can go outside to be drunk at -4°C, vodka has to go in the freezer because it just doesn't get cold enough in my town to keep the bottle in a plastic bag hanging from the window catch).

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Advice from the Met office about Red warnings;

TAKE precautionary ACTION and remain extra vigilant. Follow orders and any advice given by authorities under all circumstances. Ensure you access the latest weather forecast.
EXPECT significant disruption to normal daily routines.
Avoid all non-essential journeys.
If you must make a journey carry emergency food/ clothing/ blanket etc.

Widespread deep snow with many roads closed or impassable.
Roads likely to become impassable with high risk of drivers becoming stranded.
Significant disruption to road, rail and air transport.
Risk to personal safety.
Expect significant disruption to normal day to day life as a result of transport issues, school closures etc.
Avoid making unnecessary journeys.

Are people generally daft for reading and taking note of this?

It's official government guidance, just like Santaman gets in the USA. No-one in their right mind would criticise an american for having a bug out bag in hurricane zone, theres essentially very little difference in my eyes. When was the last time we had a Red warning? I don't remember one TBH.

Yes its a bit of snow, but our infrastucture just can't cope with it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE