Something new from Morakniv

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird how manufacturers create tools with an ever narrowing use.
When I was a kid, Frosts made 3 types, one standard, one with a finger protector and one to make bowls with.
Everybody was happy with that choice. Could do everything you wanted with them.

They even have to name them, IKEA style.

Edit: in fact Frosts made 4 types. One with a red wooden handle and black scabbard for civilian use, and the same knife with a green wooden handle and green scabbard for the Armed Forces.
The other company in Mora that made the Mora knife ( forgot name) made only civilian knifes.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
When I was a kid, Frosts made 3 types, one standard, one with a finger protector and one to make bowls with.

They're responding to the market, if people didn't want them they wouldn't make them. Some people buy equipment as a replacement for doing the act itself - the intent to use the equipment is never fulfilled, but the knowledge they own it is enough. I think this happens more and more now. We're time poor, cash rich - so we buy stuff to take our minds off the fact we don't have any leisure time any more. But we get stuck in a loop, working longer, to buy more stuff to take away the pain of working longer... Buying a bushcraft knife is the closest you can get to going out and doing it so it satiates that desire temporarily.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Edit: in fact Frosts made 4 types. One with a red wooden handle and black scabbard for civilian use, and the same knife with a green wooden handle and green scabbard for the Armed Forces.
The other company in Mora that made the Mora knife ( forgot name) made only civilian knifes.

Was that "E Jonsson"? They had a better steel IMHO....

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Could have been, I do not remember. I remember the "carbon steel only' knives. It was a huge step for us in Sweden when they introduced a S/s that was almost as good keeping the edge as the carbon steel.

Yes, we buy new equipment with our eyes, not because we need it!

Having said that, I love the blade shape of the Mora 2000, it is really superb bleeding large fish, doing the first cuts while filleting and very good for most kitchen duties including cutting bread.
So this blade is more of a Univeral use than the classic shape. For me at last.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Looking at Facebook MRSP is over £20. That basically means it'll retail at under that. I'm hoping that price includes the necker kit.

Due for release 3rd quarter apparently.

Prob release them with mora's first full tang knife which is due out later this year.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

why is it weird? Doesnt every manufacturer do this otherwise you'd only buy 1 rather than half a dozen....

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I'll stick with my 510 - well now 511 with the finger guard cut off. I bought enough of them back when clas ohlsen where selling them at 3 for about £9 to last me a good few years. Got them in belt and neck sheaths. Use a 120 whittler for finer work, an axe/saw for anthing bigger. That seems to give me all I need. Mora make great knives but I still think the simpler models offer much better value for money and practicality.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Until they invent a way to sharpen a mora... I'm out.

A Mora Classic blade can be sharpened on basically everything. Do you think we used to carry fancy sharpening gear with us in Sweden?

The new Mora blades a bit more complex, but frankly speaking easy to have reprofiled to an easy sharpened edge.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In Sweden and Norway, you can find Moras everywhere. Sport shops, petrol stations, supermarkets, diy stores, you name it and there is a small selection of them there!
We tend to use them as a kind of semi disposable knives.
Use, abuse, throw away if damaged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE