Something is eating my trangia!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
My Explorer Scout unit mainly uses our trangias withe gas convertor, but the other week we went to use the meths burners, which are kept in another box, only to find that they all have blue/white blothes of what looks like fungus growing on them!! :eek:

You can scrape it off but I wanted to know what this stuff was, what caused it, how do we get it off, and how do we stop it coming back please:(

Any sensible suggestions welcomed :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
bikething said:
have a look at this page (picture heavy) especially the first one of the recycled copper strip
Thanks, thats a pretty good start but not quite the same, there is more white in it but yes they could have been put away wet, out current QM is a bit slap dash. :(

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
If you hadn't have been using the gas converter, I'd say that the green on your stove is merely encrusted meths. (Assuming that you don't use industrial grade meths) But since you were using gas I'm at a loss for an explanation.....

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
addyb said:
If you hadn't have been using the gas converter, I'd say that the green on your stove is merely encrusted meths. (Assuming that you don't use industrial grade meths) But since you were using gas I'm at a loss for an explanation.....
Thanks but it is on the meths burners. We only use them when its really cold, so they could have been like it for months and I wouldn't have noticed.

Ok looking again it could be verdigris.
trangiaburner.jpg

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Zodiak said:
My Explorer Scout unit mainly uses our trangias withe gas convertor, but the other week we went to use the meths burners, which are kept in another box, only to find that they all have blue/white blothes of what looks like fungus growing on them!! :eek:

You can scrape it off but I wanted to know what this stuff was, what caused it, how do we get it off, and how do we stop it coming back please:(

Any sensible suggestions welcomed :)
I use a brass suede brush to scrub off the green stuff and keep it dry and empty out meths before storing:beerchug:

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Zodiak said:
Thanks but it is on the meths burners. We only use them when its really cold, so they could have been like it for months and I wouldn't have noticed.

Ok looking again it could be verdigris.
trangiaburner.jpg

it´s the copper in the brass reacting due to bad treatment by lazy .... :D

Don´t worry, just take some metal polish and never ever store it damp or with meth. in it.
Learned that lesson myself the same way, my Trangia still works perfect

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Ooops, my meths burner has been looking like that for some time, I thought it was normal, must get the brass brush and autosol out again, I had a brass pressure stove that also looked like that.

Must stop being lazy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This happens a lot with brass stoves, I don't worry about it. Make sure to clean out the burner holes on the Trangia burner with a paper clip

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
rik_uk3 said:
This happens a lot with brass stoves, I don't worry about it. Make sure to clean out the burner holes on the Trangia burner with a paper clip

Very true. I keep a small paperclip inside my Trangia pot, along with a green scrubby pad to aid with the washing up after a meal.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I have solved the problem.

Somebody decided that he would give them a spring clean (all 14 trangias) in the dish washer, including the burners.. Because we store the meths burners seperatley he put them in a plastic box for storage, and left it in the back of his van for a month.

He has just started with a new bottle of brasso :lmao:

Unfortunatley its probably inside too, does anybody know what would neutralise it please? Acid or Alkali? :confused:

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
If cupric acetate is inside its not really going to cause you any problems. It dissolves in water and alcohol. I would not want to use water, it will take forever to dry. I would just put meths in and burn it. You might get a nice coloured flame too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE