Someone put me right on hook knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
Hi There

Can someone give me the definitive lowdown on hook knives.

-double or single edged?
-how much of a curve?
-left or right handed?
-why have some got a point on the end?
-what are the different shapes for?

Thanks!

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Depends . . . ..

Seriously, it depends on lots of things. Single edge is safer to use but you might find you need left/right handed (for working on both sides of a spoon or bowl, so that you are cutting away from the grain).

As for the curve - well, tighter curves for small deep hollowing. Some knives have a gentle curve that tightens that makes them more versatile.

The point? That's to help get into tight corners and clean them out.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Depends . . . ..

Seriously, it depends on lots of things. Single edge is safer to use but you might find you need left/right handed (for working on both sides of a spoon or bowl, so that you are cutting away from the grain).

As for the curve - well, tighter curves for small deep hollowing. Some knives have a gentle curve that tightens that makes them more versatile.

The point? That's to help get into tight corners and clean them out.

In a nutshell, that's it. Though if you're thinking of getting one, it's worthwhile to go the extra tenner and get a Ben Orford over a Mora - no connection etc - just a very satisfied customer.

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
In a nutshell, that's it. Though if you're thinking of getting one, it's worthwhile to go the extra tenner and get a Ben Orford over a Mora - no connection etc - just a very satisfied customer.

Cool.

So...I guess as im just starting out ill be wanting a jack of all trades master of none variety..

Pointy double edged with an increasing curve?

I like a definitive answer thanks guys.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Having used a few different kinds including a Ben Orford and a Mora, i can honestly say i have never use a nicer tool than the Flexcut spoon knife. Used Mad Dave's example at Giants Seat recently and nearly didn't give it back, it is an absolute joy to use.

No links or anything just really enjoyed using a very nice tool.

Dave

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
For someone starting I would suggest a small-ish knife without a point and single-sided - you'll learn quicker and you'll always have the knife to trade or use when you move on to something else...........
Until you get to develope a technique of your own, it's not worth spending loads of dosh. I got a Mora, ground off the sharp tip ( this will only dig in and frustrate your efforts at the start ) started carving and most important of all, learn how to sharpen it and keep it sharp.............although I've moved on to other knives since, I still use that one often and am glad I did it this way round

Hope this is of help, atb mac

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My fave is a Dave Budd. I bought just a blade and made a sloppy job of handling it (sorry, Dave). It's the knife I pick up when I really want to waste some wood. Cuts so well, loads better than my Mora 106. I've tried reprofiling and sharpening my double-edged Mora and it still isn't a patch on the Budd blade.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Don't like the mora that much for spoons myself but hey ho......
Just out of interest anyone use a hoof knife for carving???
Prices are certainly good on eBay....
D

Bearded Bear

Mar 24, 2013
Brazil
Don't like the mora that much for spoons myself but hey ho......
Just out of interest anyone use a hoof knife for carving???
Prices are certainly good on eBay....
D

I was actually going to ask the same thing... I've found here some hoof knifes to sell (Extremely cheaper then the Spoon Knives that I would have to import)
I would relly like to know with somebody uses them and if they are good for the job...=/

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I was actually going to ask the same thing... I've found here some hoof knifes to sell (Extremely cheaper then the Spoon Knives that I would have to import)
I would relly like to know with somebody uses them and if they are good for the job...=/

Nope, not really suitable. The bevel is on the inside of the curve so they end up digging into the wood.

Definitive answer is that once you've tried one of Nic Westermann's, Ben's, Svante or Hans Karlsson's knives the mora crook knives are poor (the carving knives are a completely different matter). Give yourself the best long term chance and to get the most out this great hobby invest in some quality tools for just a few pennies more. I have a few now and Nic's come atom splittingly sharp with brilliant service. No affiliation.

MikeCoats

Apr 10, 2013
Inverness, Scotland
Can someone give me the definitive lowdown on hook knives.

I'm only getting started with all of this carving, but I've found the recommendations on Ben Orford's site to be of great help.

He suggests that you should start out with a small, right handed, single edged, crook knife - one that cuts towards you when held in your right hand. He's also got a good couple of videos showing how it's actually quite safe to cut towards yourself - with the correct grip.

I've not much experience, but this knife has served me well over the first two spoons I've knocked out.

Mike

Good luck with learning about different carving techniques! It really is great fun, lovely way to unwind and you get something beautiful and functional at the end.

We really rate Ben Orford’s knives, again no connection, just very satisfied with the quality of his tools and we are also confident to use them with clients.

We wrote a short review on the ones we use and I thought that the pictures, posted below and on the blog, of the different profiles and handle designs might be of interest.

ben_orford_crook_1.jpg

ben_orford_crook_2.jpg

ben_orford_crook_3.jpg

ben_orford_crook_4.jpg

The article can be found here if it is of interest http://www.badgerbushcraft.com/kit-tried-a-tested/ben-orford-spoon-and-indian-crook-knives.htm

All the best,

Phil.

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
Good luck with learning about different carving techniques! It really is great fun, lovely way to unwind and you get something beautiful and functional at the end.

We really rate Ben Orford’s knives, again no connection, just very satisfied with the quality of his tools and we are also confident to use them with clients.

We wrote a short review on the ones we use and I thought that the pictures, posted below and on the blog, of the different profiles and handle designs might be of interest.

The article can be found here if it is of interest http://www.badgerbushcraft.com/kit-tried-a-tested/ben-orford-spoon-and-indian-crook-knives.htm

All the best,

Phil.

Grea stuff cheers Phil!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE