Someone gave me this bivy ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 19, 2015
Rochdale
g_BIVVY-OG2.jpg

would this get condensation? I have no clue as I'm new to all this. When could I use it? weather/wize? I have a sleeping bag/ snugpak one, suitable for summer, just not sure about the bivy.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It looks like an army issue goretex bivvy. I use one a lot. It's good kit. You shouldn't have any trouble with condensation inside it.
Moisture from your body is driven out through the bivvy bag and may condense on the outside of it, but that doesn't matter.

If it's in good condition you can use it in more or less any weather. I've woken up lying in an inch of water in mine and it's still kept me dry.
Very cold temperatures, where water will freeze outside your sleeping bag but inside the bivvy bag will prevent the water vapour from leaving through the bag.
A hot water bottle can help to force moisture out of the bag, and one inside my sleeping bag is my idea of luxury. :)

A second modestly-priced sleeping bag will give you lots of flexibility, you can use just one, or the other, or both inside the bivvy.

Even if I'm using a tent I still use a bivvy bag, it keeps you much drier and warmer.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Yep that looks like an army issue bivvy bag.Great bits of kit if looked after and re-waterproofed on occasion if needed, the only downside is you cannot get out of one in a hurry.

Sep 19, 2015
Rochdale
Thanks.

I've just tested it out in the bath. A little bit of moisture was on my hand after a good soak, but not very nocticable . then I placed some tissue in and it was fine.

There is no holes I can see, but if I was to waterproof it what must I use?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE