Some wooden food bowls !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Have been tidying up my workshop and timber horde recently and decided to use a few of the less thick turning blanks to make some shallow bowls for eating from :)

I've been woodturning for years and normally make decorative stuff with finishes that aren't suitable for food use, but inspired by Robin Woods championing of the practicalities of wooden bowls and plates as everyday eating utensils, and having seen some in use and popular with bushcrafters at camp, I thought it was time I turned a few up !

All have had the grain raised by dampening and sanding back lightly a couple of times and then three or four coats of walnut oil to finish.

Quite pleasing and satisfying to make and to handle :)

Cheers, Paul

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
very nice :) I mostly use wooden bowls and plates myself. Much nicer than ceramic ones at home as well as when out. They keep your food warmer/cooler longer, don't burn your lap, don't screech when you cut food on them and are much more durable when dropped!

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Beautiful work, loving the grain, colours and spalting. Can I ask what wood is the first individual bowl pictured made from as I'm loving the almost flame like ripples in the wood

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks guys, the "flamed" one is the only non-native timber, it wasn't labelled up or marked and has been in the wood store for years so I can't be certain but pretty sure it is macrocarpa, monterey cypress, which I vaguely remember picking up somewhere a long time ago. The blank looked pretty unpromising which is probably why it had been left so long, no sign of the figuring until turned. It really picks up the light and shimmers when you move it around, and the timber smells really strongly of pencil sharpenings being cypress I guess :) Think it's so strong a smell it might actually taint any food and looks really nice so might not actually use that one !

The others are native timbers I've gathered myself over the years and had seasoning in the wood store, oak, walnut, ash, and sycamore I think from memory.

Hadn't planned to sell any, but don't really need more than one or two for myself, so might need to take a look at what's involved in getting Makers status if I was to sell any or make more, but that might not be feasible if I only do a few now and again, not sure yet.

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE