Some Tracks to ID.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
thanks. they're on the footpath between mayton bridge and coltishall bridge (norfolk, river bure). the tracks were sparse as the trail is well used by dogs and their walkers as well as the swan and egyptian goose population, but the ones i found were very clear and most led back into the river

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Haven’t heard from Blacktimberwolf today, so I hope he’s back out tracking in the Snow looking for a complete track or some other substantiating sign. You never know he may even find Gabrielsdad’s lost puppy.....lol.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
i havent seenmany tracks like this on here. can some one confirm this as an otter track please
http://www.flickr.com/photos/munkiboi182/6855968747/
That's a great example of why the fifth toe doesn't always register. You can see it is a lot fainter in the snow than the others.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Well guys I think the case has been solved. Whilst walking the dogs this afternoon I came across another set of tracks almost identical to the original ones.but not at all in the same area..Again there was only one series of these tracks,a long single trail, surrounded & crossed by loads of hare & fox tracks.Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me.
I decided to follow them for a bit,across the field but in the direction they seemed to come from rather than where they were heading, really to see if at least 1 print could be clearly seen.......well guess what ?.....after about 100 meters they came to an abrupt end (or begining I should say) in the middle of the field with a large oval crater, about 70 cm long & 45 cm wide.full of broken snow. No other tracks (other than the ones mentioned) leading too or from this crater. So it has to be a bird & working on Robbie's suggestion I did a search on Google & found this which is very similar.

IMG_0451.jpg

This is reportedly pheasant tracks ( I have no way of confirming that & was the only photo similar to my tracks I could find) They are also in deep snow which is prehaps the clue.

Well done Robbi, thanks a lot for your help guys it's been fascinating hearing your suggestions & it's always a pleasure seeing 21st century's incredible track shots.
Yep monkieboi, that's one hell of an otter track photo, would be great to have that on the forum for future reference.;)

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cheers Blacktimberwolf but I think I may have to try a bit harder in the future if Munkiboi182 keeps up that standard of photography, A lovely Otter track Image. And well done Robbie.

Pheasants tracks on snow.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE