Some spoons I made for Yule presents.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Yew is a lovely wood to carve but as already stated its pretty toxic even when seasoned and oiled. However I still carve spoons from it. I just dont cook with them. I used the Ash and hazel for cooking.

Great work. What tools did you use?

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
Thank you all very much for your lovely comments. I have not really carved that many spoons, but I have a creative job and make various things every day, I think the skills are transferable. The more simple spoons took 3 to 4 hours to make and the spiral one about 10. The Yew was green when the spoons were carved and although the wood is toxic it is not as toxic as the green parts or bark. They are mostly decorative but can be used for the occasional scooping of jelly without too much danger i think. The tools I used were a Mora Miki, Frosts spoon knife, Dremel drill and sandpaper.
Thanks again,
Nigel

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
I thought you might have used a Dremel on the spiral one. Really nice and even.

Once again thanks for posting.
I used the Dremel with a multi directional drill bit to tidy up the tight inside curve of the hanging hooks. Difficult and time consuming by hand. The spiral was done with knife and sandpaper though, and a fair bit of patience and elbow grease.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE