Some spatulas and spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Not my first ones but my older photos are on an external hdd and I don't have the cradle at the moment so will fire up these newer ones.

This is horse-chestnut. Been trying to finish my recent stuff off without sanding and this worked well-ish. The wood is nice enough to carve but the pith(IS IT PITH?) shrank as it dried. Very nearly went right through the bowl so it nearly became a t-bag strainer. Use it alot and feels nice. My porridge spoon.

IMG_8255.JPG

The next is my favourite spatula, made from well dried cherry. I love carving cherry. Very hard when dry but the colour is great and seems to seal very well from the balde. Finished straight off the axe. A GB swedish carving axe, the leftie version (very nice axe by the way).
Experimented dying the wood with elderberry juice. Seems to have worked.

IMG_8256.JPG

Last one is a spatula/spoon/shovel thingy made from hazel. Did the majority of this in some beautiful woodlands (see below).
IMG_8201.JPG

A friend of mine tried to make his first spatula from the other side of this. A leftie carving axe does not work well for a rightie.
Hazel carves like butter in comparison to seasoned cherry, was a real pleasure, but was difficult to finish without sanding, the grain didn't like me, so I sanded it. Gets used alot too, great for serving chilli.
IMG_8257.JPG

I'll post some more when I get the cradle back.

Advice and comments more than welcome and I hope you like em.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE