Some more recent pieces

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Here is a shot of some more of my recent carving work...
The top one is a cawl spoon/love spoon made from recycled sofa (beech?)
The next is a serving spoon/love spoon made from a skip(mahogany type?)
The next a plain spoon/love spoon again from skip wood (mahogany type?)
And the last a butter knife made from a broken bread board(?????)
all oiled with flax seed oil.
The top ones will most likely be next seasons Xmas prezzies for some poor soul
the bottom two were part of my wifes prezzies this Xmas just gone.
bd101a89.jpg

I love recycling!
Thanks for looking.

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
The butter knife definitely looks like beech to me, plus a lot of chopping boards are made of beech so i'll stick me neck out and say it's beech.

The top spoon looks like a pine or fruitwood, nice job I like the top one best :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks guys!
Robin
I am afraid that I am of the "sanding good" school of woodwork - but that is not to say I dislike the work you and the Spoon Doctor produce....in fact I love the knife finish you guys get, but if I try that it just looks messy:(
Burning
You are more than likely right about the woods, the top one is not very dense....

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
john,

Looking at that work, I feel you may be a tad disapointed when your xmas gift gets to you (I know late as usual)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:) - the photos are quite flattering realy....:D
The butter knife was made using nothing but a belt sander as a trial of what I could do with the beastie...
The top two were done to try out two new spoon knives (I now have all three Frosts of different radius types.....)

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
The 3rd spoon looks like mahogany to me but the 2nd doesn't.
It's a lot harder to tell after it's oiled but the grain is wider than mahogany, looks like stained oak to me but it's a love spoon so who cares ? :grouphug:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The 3rd spoon looks like mahogany to me but the 2nd doesn't.
It's a lot harder to tell after it's oiled but the grain is wider than mahogany, looks like stained oak to me but it's a love spoon so who cares ? :grouphug:

Its not Oak - that is one of the few woods I DO know:D
It feels just like mahog so I am guessing it is of that family - 3rd cousin?
In its raw state it was very pink (embaressed to be in a skip?) and it cut just like mahog....it was the oil that made it go brown (just flaxseed oil)
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
In its raw state it was very pink (embaressed to be in a skip?) and it cut just like mahog....it was the oil that made it go brown (just flaxseed oil)

Hi john been busy....... if it was pink it prolly is mahogany, it's hard to identify once stained but the grain looked wider than usual possibly sappele ..... been scratching my head for a bit :)

Why embarresed to be in a skip? I got Blackpool illuminations for xmas lights that were being renewed for lasers or something out of skips lol

M

moccasintracks

love that peanut butter spreader.

Gonna have to make me one for the kids and me to keep on a tray my daughter bought along with a good jar of skippy or jiff.

Thanks for a great idea for my whittling time.

Jim

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi john been busy....... if it was pink it prolly is mahogany, it's hard to identify once stained but the grain looked wider than usual possibly sappele ..... been scratching my head for a bit :)

Why embarresed to be in a skip? I got Blackpool illuminations for xmas lights that were being renewed for lasers or something out of skips lol

:) No no no no no - I am not embarressed to be in a skip (urbancraft shelter, material source and playground without compare) the wood was blushing:eek: coz it was embaressed to be thought "waste" by some fool!:D

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Luan (one of the 'false' mahoganys much loved by joinery companies)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE