Some interesting books

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have a few books that are particular favorites of mine and I have read them over and over (which is not to say thoroughly). Here are some which I have not seen mentioned anywhere on this or other similar forums. But remember what some old fellow said, "Read everything you can, then keep it to yourself."

I have left out some that I am assuming most readers will be halfway familiar with, such as Kephart, and others that are of a more specialized nature, such as books about the far north. All these are of more general interest.

My oldest book is "Campcraft," by Warren H. Miller (1916). I believe that the sort of thing that both Miller and Kephart were talking about was a recreational activitiy, usually oriented towards hunting or fishing. Kephart is much more comprehensive (the reprint of his books is two inches thick), yet Miller acknowledges that outdoor activitiy is a lot different around the country. All these books, by the way are American and I suspect that the older books here will be pretty scarce overseas. I haven't checked Amazon.com.

Miller was a one-time editor of Field and Stream magazine. He alone suggests making your own equipment and he uses two chapters on the subject. He also spends a lot of time on campfires, cooking and cook-kits. It is a very readable 282 pages long.

Dan Beard in his book, "The Book of Camp-Lore and Woodcraft (1920)," uses up four whole chapters on campfires and then two more on council fires. There are two chapters on food and cooking, one on horse packing and five more chapters on what to do between campfires. Frankly the book appears to be written for scouts, since he was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts in the United States. He is a little preachy now and then.

L.L. Bean, which is now a Yuppie clothing and outdoor store, wrote a book in 1940 entitled "Hunting-Fishing and Camping. All his advice is direct and to the point. He even had a section intended to be removed from his book and taken on a hunt ("how to dress a deer) but it is almost too specialized in that it was written with only Maine in mind where evidently you always go with a guide. One of the end papers is a map of Baxter State Park, which is where the Applachian Trail ends. The other end paper is a map of the 1941 deer kills by township and county. There were 19,881 deer kills. Some of the illustrations are charming.

For the rest of the 1940's most men got their camping instructions from army field manuals.

In 1951 the Sierra Club published a 152 page book entitled "Going Light," subtitled "With Backpack and Burro." The title says it all. It is both progressive and up to the moment with some things and very dated with others. Coming out right after the war, there is a lot of mention of army surplus. Although it suggests that solo travel is a bad idea, it is really only one of these books that suggests that you may actually find yourself in the wilderness somewhere.

All these books share a couple of things. They all stress lightweight gear, or rather, keeping the weight of your load down, which saying something else. Don't load yourself down. Another thing is that in all these books, there is a very social, clubby feeling. The Sierra Club rather overdid that back in the 1950's and some of their outings were large group adventures, which is fine but I guess it isn't for everyone. You never read anything like it anymore even though the Sierra Club is very much still around. There is also the Applachian Mountain Club in the east and it also has the same social characteristics and some of its own.

Most hikers and campers I see strike me as less willing to engage in large group activities anymore, although I have seen at least one group of hikers larger than a dozen people. But people don't walk the Applachian Trail like that.

My last book is "Long Distance Hiking," by Roland Mueser (1998). The author interviewed people who had finished the thru-hike on the Applachian Trail and reported his findings. They talk about their gear and their general trail experiences. Since they had all just walked 2000 miles, presumably what they had to say would be of some value to someone contemplating a similar endeavor. This book you could probably find somewhere. It is very readable and so are all the others, though Dan Beard is a little tiring at times. The author avoided being critical of anyone's personal experiences and was willing to say that everyone was walking their own walk, in a manner of speaking. This is not to say that none of the people he interviewed were never critical. Some popular gear evidently failed everyone (Gore-Tex) while other gear satisfied everyone that used it. There sure are a lot of thru-hikers these days. I've hiked no more than about 40 miles of it myself.

A couple of other things in common among all the books and that is an absence of any discussion of "survival." I suppose that was taken for granted. You can't live off the land and hike the Applachian Trail. When I was active in scouts as an adult, at the summer camp there was only one day of campfire cooking. The rest of the time we ate in the mess hall; otherwise there would have been no time for other activities.

Another thing common to all the books, particularly "Long Distance Hiking," is a complete lack of anything approaching dogma, although Dan Beard is trying his best. No mention of brand names, though there is often mention of suppliers. The last book does mention brand names, most of them, in fact and everything comes in for criticism. But some people hiked the length of the Applachian Trail wearing cotton socks.

Keep an open mind and keep your mouth shut, I guess the lesson is.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Thanks, I enjoy a good book! Just got 'One Mans wilderness' and I'm really into it very easy reading, but not a how to do it book.

Best Regards,
:)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I discovered that at least some of the older books are available used through Amazon.Com. My main purpose in the posting was to mention some now rather obscure titles that as I said, do not seem to have been talked about very much. I also wanted to point out that there is little new under the sun as regards activities like this. Even gas stoves have been around since before WWII.

There are undoubtedly many other books with interesting information that I've never seen. After all, I'm still learning but I can be rather block headed about it. I also left out some interesting books about cold weather activitiy that seemed too specialized for this forum.

Frankly, information in books is only of limited value if you never get out and try things. You really have to go and do. Most people will manage just fine anyway even though we live rather more distantly from nature than we ever have. I suspect hardly anyone cooks over a wood burning stove any more. We did at our house and it was one of the first things to go when they could manage the switch to electricity. But I knew of several people, including a few in town, still using wood when I was little. That isn't bushcraft (or campcraft) but you get my point. Likewise, a few people in town still kept chickens which sooner or later ended up as Sunday dinner. No one walks anywhere much. The streets aren't pedestrian friendly, although it is a long hike from one end of the mall to the other.

If you want to learn something new, read an old book.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Blue Train Wrote
If you want to learn something new, read an old book.

I like that and thanks for the info I had never heard of any of them. Disbit Ireland only recently joining the urban trend as whole there is very little written about living in the out doors in Ireland. So most my rescources come from the US.

I suppose this is becuase it was away of live Bushcraft and out door living were not considered recreational and so not worth of keeping or recording.

Thank You
James

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i just picked upa copy of "long-distance hiking" by roland mueser in oxfam for £5. facinating read.

i wonder ifi can get 6 months off work to walk the appalachian trail....................

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I like Kephart's book (which I didn't list) the best because it is the most comprehensive and is well written. However, "Long Distance Hiking" is really more useful, at least on the subject it covers. You realize, of course, that it is really focused on a fairly narrow subject, namely walking a couple of thousand miles through the woods.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Applachian Trail, it goes from Georgia to Maine and follows ridges most of the way, which means there is a lot of up and down. I'm never planning to walk it all the way myself. However, one of the values of the book is that all the thru-hikers on the trail are really just amateur walkers. You hardly have to be an expert about anything to give it a try. Although not every one who makes the attempt finishes for all sorts of reasons, those that do have pretty much made up their mind about how to do it by the time they get to Maine. Most thru-hikers walk north because of weather limitations if they do it in one go but there are variations on arrangements.

The first person to hike all the way, just after the war, later became the oldest man to do the trip. The first woman to thru-hike was also the oldest woman.

There are other long distance trails around the country, including at least a couple of canal towpaths but the Applachian Trail is the only one I'm familar with.

Are there any long distance trails in the U.K. or Europe?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
All very interesting - thanks for kicking off this thread.

In the UK we have several long distance footpaths - the South West caoastal path is about 500miles and the Pennine Way about 250. It starts and ends at a pub.....

I read Bill Bryson's book 'A Walk in The Woods' about the Appalachian Trail. Fascinating stuff.

I think that book reading without practical experience isn't much use, but together they are a powerful combination. At the end of the day a lot of things you just have to try for yourself. A lot of outdoor products are hyped beyond all imagining.

It is good to look at older books. There is a perception that venturing outdoors without the latest breathable waterproof kit is suicide. But as a lad we used p.u. coated nylon, and before that people had waxed cotton, and somehow survived. A while ago I climbed Ben More Assynt - a serious Scottish mountain - in January wearing my trusty Barbour jacket - it's not the lightest outdoor kit, but the bottom line is that 19th century technology still works.

Interesting to read Calvin Rutstrum's books - written in the fifties. He gets quite excited about the latest technology, such as instant mashed potato :) and DDT :eek:

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Calvin Rutstrum is one of the authors I left out. The only book I have of his is "Paradise Below Zero." I have been under the impression that he most wrote about the Northwoods (and beyond). His advice is good but his writing lacks lightness, if I may complain. But some things I've read of his are very serious and thought provoking, still not something I want to read very much of. In the book above he love down clothing, which was becoming popular in the 1960's. You don't hear very much about it lately.

Frankly, not too many of the other authors get very enthusiastic about technology (there is Jardine, though), but that might be a good thing. Mostly I guess I'm reading the books mainly for entertainment but also to get a feel for another era, for the older books. Then, too, there is simple armchair adventure. There were a couple of good books with lots of pictures that came out after the body of an early Everest climber was found (his name I don't remember). That's the sort of stuff I mean.

But none of that seems to make much difference to me. I guess I am too old and set in my ways. You can only do so much experimenting anyway, although it adds a lot to a trip when you have something new to try out, something to play with and fool around with.

I do experiment to the extent of modifying a lot of my gear. At least I sew things closed, cut things off, add little things and so on. Not that much of it has a great impact on anything. The biggest things I learn when using things are how I can do without things. I learn those lessons about other things all the time.

There is another funny thing I have realized. My interest in gear is inversely proportional to the amount of time I spend in the woods or on the trail. That is likewise true of other things in other situations. Back when I was still in high school and spending at least some time in the woods everyday when I lived in the country, I had zero gear. But I don't think I ever went further than five miles from home and then not very often. Later, in college, I began accumulating gear but not much. I still went to the woods a lot but I finally bought a four-wheel drive vehicle, which was a 1965 Land-Rover 88". After than my walking almost ceased entirely. Still later, in my post-Land-Rover period, I began walking again. I finally accumulated enough gear to make frequent overnight trips. Although I don't have unlimited funds, I somehow manage to afford anything I want (but not another Land-Rover) but at the same time, I have managed to avoid wanting too many things (except British army surplus!). Then, as the kid have grown, all my spare time has totally evaporated. Now my feet are soft and my head is hard. What next?

Mostly my aim has been to go down a path I've never been before and that is still my object, though there may be more to it than that. Now, if I could just get away a little more often!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE