Some help with hymns and songs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
On Saturday 11/4/15 my grandmother passed away at 94 years of age. Although not a real shock as she has been going downhill slowly, its a bit raw knowing she isn't there anymore to have a good chat with about the old times. For the past 13/14 years I have done her cleaning every Saturday without fail up until she went into a care home 8 weeks ago.

My mother, uncle and aunt are in bits and I'm trying to step up to the plate and ease their burden by helping with arrangements as best I can.

I'm currently trying to get together ideas of funeral hymns and songs that I can suggest and wondered if anyone here had any hymns or songs that may be appropriate to put forward.

So far I have only managed to put together ideas of songs to be played on entrance to the church and when the coffin goes behind the curtain to be cremated which are as follows:

Eva Cassidy - Fields of Gold
Josh Groben - You raise me up
Celine Dione - My heart will go on
Elton John - Candle in the wind

Does anyone have any suggestions and thanks in advance.

328216ee634f58be226f69abf441c739.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm sorry for your loss Danny

As for suggestions did she have any singers, bands that she enjoyed listening to? If so how about something by one of them?

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Sorry for your loss.

You will know when you have the "right" one.

Your heart already does, you have just to hear it yet.

Pete

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry for your loss. You family will be in my prayers.

I would agree with the idea to look in her Bible or where ever she might have left a clue as to what she'd want. If that fails, are you looking for something traditional or contemporary? Among the traditional hymns Rock Of Ages is usually fitting.

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Thanks for the kinds words. Unfortunately when she was moved into the care home 8 weeks ago we had to downsize all of her belongings and as such, her bible and CD collection were removed and given away to charity.

We opened her final words yesterday and in it she has asked us to choose the hymns/songs and didn't really give us any indication of what she would prefer.

As for her musical tastes she loved everything. She really liked brass band music as my grandfather played a brass instrument.

I'm thinking of amazing grace being suggested as one hymn as it resonates with me but I haven't got a clue on any others

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Sorry for your loss.

How about "Våren" (Last Spring) by Edvard Grieg?

[video=youtube;3zGRQsYZE7U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zGRQsYZE7U[/video]

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Amazing Grace is always appropriate. As for brass band selections I can only think of one, When The Saints Go Marching In, as played at New Orleans funerals, but I don't know if it would fit in well or be appropriate over there. In New Orleans it's usually played as the attendees leave the gravesite or during the procession to it.

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Well we have narrowed it down on the music. We are going for Stanley Holloway - Albert and the lion, for the walk in, Judy Garland - over the rainbow, for the curtain draw and Bet Middler - wind beneath my wings, for the exit. Still stuck with hymns

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Abide With Me is a classic but a weepy

Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory is rousing as she got to a good age & you may prefer to celebrate her life rather than mourn her death

Personally, I want Disposer Supreme And Judge Of The Earth at mine, with Movement 2 from Ravel's concerto for organ & flute as the exit music.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE