Some help about 'secondary bevels' please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
I have used the search function to no avail, so I throw it out to you all.

I have found a beautiful stunning knife that says it is scandi grind with a secondary bevel. Could any one help me out here? because I am familiar with convex / hollow / scandi I have never heard of a secondary on a scandi grind.

All help appreciated.

http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.uk/Brenzett.html

Here is the knife in question.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Chances are it's a secondary microbevel, more than a secondary bevel like you find on full flat and hollow ground knives. Do a search on "Is your Mora too sharp?" (IIRC) and you'll find a thread on them by Robin Wood.

It's basically just an extremely small bevel that's put there to aid in edge retention without sacrificing much cutting ability - and they do it extremely well, all my knives have them (except my carving knife) and rarely need any sharpening other than stropping. Mora Clippers have them as standard, as do E Jonsson Moras IIRC.

That's my guess anyway :D

Pete

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Thank you very much draven.

I just found my dream knife IF the secondaries going to be no problem.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Cheers prophecy.

appreciate the link. Will go have a read - because if a secondary is all good, I am having one of those EnZo knives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE