Some hammock questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BIG_emu

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
Cheshire
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into getting a hammock sometime soon. In particular Im looking at the DD Travel Hammock & DD Tarp 1. I've fancied a hammock since I treid one on a survival cousre two years ago, but i have only just started to be able to get get the use out of kit like that.

i feel a bit stupid asking these question but not as stupid as I would if I bought one without asking.

1.) all the site say "they're better than tents, more comfortable, don't need flat ground, doesn't matter if the ground is damp, etc, etc" thats all well and good but

a. do campsites allow hammocks
b. the hammock needs two places to fix to (trees mainly) so the campsite will need lots (or at least a few close together) of trees. therefor are they practical for campsites as well as in random woodland or not? I mainly stay in the peak district and lake district but will probably start going to wales.

2.) where can i keep my kit safe (just thought of that actually those pacsafe things:eek: )

oops I seem to have rambled on a bit... sorry

any answers much appriciated

Ben

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ben,

It depends on the camp site but, sadly, the answer is requently "no". There are some exceptions of course but the larger "run of the mill" sites often don't like them.

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Ben,
I think British Red is right, normal campsite owners do away with many of the suitable trees as they represent a barrier to tents or caravan movement. There are some who do allow hammocks but you'll have to do a load of research to find one. A polite request to a few landowners might prove fruitful, but be prepared to get many refusals before getting a positive result.
Having two trees the right distance apart can be overcome by some creative thinking - http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm -
you could use a car tow-hitch etc as the second anchor point.
As to security, the pacsafe is probably as good as you're likely to get - the thinking behind hammock camping is that the camper travells very light and hence moves his kit with him.

Oh and welcome aboard by the way.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BIG_emu

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
Cheshire
Thanks for the help, I can only think of one campsite that may be suiatble, but I have just thought that Iwould be able to use it when taking the scouts out on hikes and camps if we stay at the scout camps.

Ben

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE