Some advice for this winter please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Hi guys. I've been browsing for a while, this is my first post. I'm really sorry I waffle on like crazy (mild Autism)

I'm a prospector and I like to camp and carry. Normally around 25kg on my back for a couple of weeks.

I fairly recently upgraded to a DD jungle hammock, as the hammock tech these days is much better and who really 'loves' to sleep on the floor? (I end up carrying a bed roll just incase anyway)
Gotta say, love it. Suprisingly robust.

Anyway, Winter is coming and so is my winter expedition. This year to the highlands of scotland (as a prospector, my exact location is generaly only known to the mountain rescue team I set off nearest from, sorry I will be evasive.)
The factor I need advice on is an underquilt.

My 4 season is a Rab Andes 1000. Safe to -49c.
Obviously a little warm for the highlands, I'll be in clothes with the bag mostly open.

Do I need to bother with an underquilt?
Is a 950g synthetic DD underblanket at £50 my best option? or...
I had the idea of buying a rab nutrino endurance 2 season (found some on offer) and sewing in some bungies to DIY a goose down underquilt.

Anyway, sorry I write too much!
Thanks for reading
Chris

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No need to apologise. Questions and answers make the forum.

Which ever sleeping bag you use the same problem occurs, you crush the insulation under your back. At the least you want a good matt under you in the hammock.
Under-quilts get around this as they hang close under your hammock so you dont crush the insulation.

I have done winters with a winter bag and mat no problems, but, I do prefer the under-quilt though as its a smaller pack size and you dont end up with cold spots around your elbows and shoulders. My under-quilt is only a 3/4 size bag modified by Dave on here and it suits fine.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Thanks for your reply!

Thats good to know the modified sleeping bag is a viable option.
My matt is a Nato inflatable thermarest, which I've worried might be a bit rigid for my hammock
I have the DD jungle 2 layer, so I have a hanging sleeve to put it in, but sould I look for a more flexible matt or add an extra kg for the underblanket?

Pack space over weight, the constant dilemma >_<

(If anyone thinks I'd be safe this winter with the DD underblanket, I'd like to purchase it anyway for other trips so speak up haha)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE