SOLOGNAC jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
Hi,

I very new to this game and in need of some kit. Was thinking to start off with a jacket and came across the 'SOLOGNAC' their stuff looks pretty good. Just wondering if you guys had any experience with their jackets? Quality, waterproofing, comfort, true to size etc?

Thanking you in advance.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've always found Decathlon stuff to be really good for the money I only wish there was a store in Somerset!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
Great thanks. Do you know if their stuff is fire spark resistant and is it really something you should look for in a 'bushcraft' jacket?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As every plastic jacket they aren't fire spark resistant. But because they are far cheaper than other (new) jackets they are the better option in this case.
Another option would be to buy used Army Surplus stuff, for example the Goretex suit of the German army which is sold very very cheap in usually very good conditions and because it's made of three layer military Goretex it's made - like most NATO rain gear - in the best quality one can buy on the world market. But usually this stuff is in a camouflage pattern, especially if you want to buy it used.

(Carinthia offers such stuff new and pretty expensive in olive green, gray and black.
Norrona (RECON) offers similar, but obviously even more expensive stuff in olive green. British military versions exist in blue too and are also sold in used conditions.)

(The here offered blue version is very very rare. Who wants it should buy it pretty fast. On board such suits usually don't get so easily little holes like the camouflage versions.)

I travel a lot in France where I can find Decathlon shops every corner and we got them during the last years more and more in Germany too.

For my job I travel around a lot and so I use my bushcraft equipment 365 days a year.

That's why I am outstanding interested in Bushcraft equipment and especially clothing. I usually haven't anything else with me than my 35 litres rucksack.

Because I got on my tours a lot of questions about outdoor equipment from young people I started to test Decathlon stuff, especially because they are the market leaders in France and I spend usually round about 4 month every year in this country.

I learned about bushcraft and hiking mainly from people who joined the Austrian and German Boy Scouts or similar groups in the twenties of the last century, my father joined such a group in the late forties and kept on hiking all his life, as a student he walked in the summer holydays from Flensburg to Konstanz, what means Germany from the most northern town to the most southern town. I myself go for camping and hiking since 45 years, for trekking and wild camping since 35 years.

That means, I learned from outstanding good and experienced teachers and got a lot of experience myself.

And I bought and tested the Decathlon equipment during the last years to become able to recommend some of this stuff to beginners.

I compare it with current NATO equipment, very expensive civil expedition equipment, historic military equipment, mainly WW2, and cheap offers from Aldi and Lidl. I bought and used that all over many many years.

I spend several days in the different Decathlon shops and I looked with my pretty experienced eyes at all the hunting, trekking, hiking and camping stuff they offer and I bought a lot of it.

I spend several days especially in the largest Decathlon shops in Berlin, Lyon, Avignon and especially in the incredible large one in Montpellier/Odysseum which offers there nearly everything what you can see at the homepage.

My result is the following:

Several QUECHUA products are very good for the price. I doubt that you can find such relatively good quality somewhere else cheaper. For example the stainless steel mug, the green one person hammock, the green Tarp Arpenaz Khaki, the stainless tea kettle (I do not recommend to put one in the rucksack) the simple camping table, the 2 persons tent Arpenaz 2 which isn't a storm resistant mountain tent but a very well summer camping tent for round about 20 €.

I own that stuff and used it over 15 month of continuous use. EVERY DAY. I count here together several 3 month long tours.

Different to that the independant construction and design office of the FORCLAZ stuff is a new inexperienced team which makes a lot of unconvincing nonsense.
Only the zipp off trousers Travel 100 are good because they are originally a Quechua construction. Pay attention, in between Forclaz offered an own design with the same name which was poor and obviously bought by nobody, why they took the model of the last years back into the program.

This are the bad ones:

This are the good ones:

All the rest of the current Forclaz stuff is more or less idiotic constructed, an incredible collection of nonsense and construction faults. Unfortunately Forclaz is the Decathlon Trekking brand.

Different to that the independent construction and design office of the SOLOGNAC HUNTING EQUIPMENT is an outstanding intelligent and very experienced team. They obviously know the current NATO equipment and try to copy it with great success, often in a nearly identic quality, and they ask for incredible low prices for that stuff.

I wear since round about 3 years nothing else than Solognac clothing and I tested well especially the cheaper stuff.

After I tried out a few Quecha and Forclaz clothing which I do not recommend (only the zipp off trousers are good) I bought nearly all and everything from Solognac. And I found that it works very well. It is pretty long lasting, very similar to current German field uniforms!

But of course this stuff generally is made for hunting, not for trekking. So one needs a bit of knowledge and experience to choose the Solognac clothing for hiking, trekking and bushcraft which can be used for that too, what isn't always the case.

And an important point is that this stuff is sold world wide and even in France they have very different weather conditions between north and south!

Some of that stuff is made for tropic conditions, other stuff is made for weather conditions which are similar to Germany or Britain.

I used different Solognac clothing between plus 45*C and minus 20*C and I can tell you all about it.

And of course I can write you a shopping list containing the most convincing stuff for British weather conditions and hiking, trekking and bushcraft use. As I wrote I wear this clothing all the year round since a couple of years.

In the end of this thread - which could be pretty interesting to you - I recommended some Solognac clothing for trekking, travelling, bushcraft and every days civil life in town:

And less painfull to pick up usefull informations about bushcraft in general and equipment is that thread with a nice video collection:

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi,

I very new to this game and in need of some kit. Was thinking to start off with a jacket and came across the 'SOLOGNAC' their stuff looks pretty good. Just wondering if you guys had any experience with their jackets? Quality, waterproofing, comfort, true to size etc?

Thanking you in advance.

This all depends on exactly how you will use the jacket to be honest. Will you be based in a woodland camp under shelter in the worst downpours or out on the hills dealing with horizontal rain? What Solognac call waterproof I would call shower proof - so, if your out hunting for a few hours they're fine; if you're trekking for a few days in all weathers, not good enough on their own IMO.

However, they are used day in day out by people using them hunting in the field as opposed to sitting around a camp fire carving spoons and if you have a cheap 'waterproof' you can throw over the top you may find them a good starting point.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In the descriptions of rain gear and waterproof shoes they inform the buyer how long the rain will be kept out.

It is worth to read and believe that informations, especially if they inform the buyer that the limit is reached after round about two hours...

Some of the ultra light very cheap stuff is meant to go home if it starts raining, or just to withstand a short period of light rain in usual French summer conditions.

What they call "rain" around Nice You call "sunny weather" in Britain!

The light rain jackets are pretty short and usefull with the as well offered fitting rain trousers.

But a lot of experienced hikers and woodsmen prefere to wear fast drying trousers made of a polyester cotton mix and they let them getting a bit whet in showers. If one does it like that it is the best to protect with a relatively long rain jacket the upper part of the trousers, so that the underwear and upper pockets don't get soaked whet, because this several layers of fabrik will not dry as fast as the one layer at the legs and knees.

The German Army Rain Jacket I mentioned for example is long enough to use it like that in showers without the fitting rain trousers.

The heavier and pricier rain Jackets from Solognac, which keep the water out for longer times than the light and cheaper ones, are usually longer in the cut as well and they are more durable too, of course.

But here we reach a price level where the used and in good conditions bought German army Flecktarn rain suit is the far better deal.
Off course we don't want to run around in the woods in exclusively military surplus camouflage clothing, especially in relatively crowded countries like Britain, France and Germany.

But if you mix it up with more civil looking clothing the stile becomes more usual and friendlier.

And if you wear a complete German army rainsuit in the woods, because it's raining cats and dogs, I assure you that you will not meet so many other people there.

The light Solognac rainsuit is especially fine, if you carry additional a military poncho as shelter (combined with a bivvy bag) with you instead of a tarp, what I usually do.
If it's raining horribly I use the poncho as additional raincoat over the light rainsuit.

I don't own the current heavier rain suit from Solognac but I own and use especially in colder and more rainy conditions half the year the old one which was replaced by the current, and the old one works very well. I guess the new one is even better, because they always upgrade the stuff slightly step by step, which is a reason why Solognac stuff usually is so well made. It becomes better and better with the years.

But to say it ones more very clear:
If You don't want to use the rain jacket in town and woods, if you really look for a special bushcraft jacket, in my opinion the best recommendation you can get is the German army Goretex suit in Flecktarn in good used conditions. That's cheap, outstanding well made, relatively light, really long and covering the pockets of your trousers. And it is LONG LASTING HIGH END EQUIPMENT.

Normal trousers, shorts, belt, t-shirts, caps and so on you can buy without any doubt from Decathlon / Solognac if you want to use it in normal conditions in normal British woods. The cuts are comfortable, the stuff is pretty long lasting, very cheap and civil looking, especially if you combine brown and green versions. For example brown trousers and T-shirt with green fleece jacket, green cap and so on.

Should someone ask you why you wear with that a German Camouflage Jacket you easily can explain him, that similar quality jackets in civil colours cost 10 times more and that you don't want to get spark holes in such Gucci stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: bushytoo

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
My flecktarn jacket had german flags on sleeves but it was an easy job to take them off with a seam ripper tool.
My jacket is in size V (56-58 extra long) from 1993 and long enough that it covers my thighs down to the knees when riding bicycle.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You seem to own an early version or you are confused with other Flecktarn stuff you own which is made of polyester-cotton mix fabric.

All Flecktarn Goretex suits I have seen have the German flag printed on both sleeves. And the older blue and olive green versions had the flags printed on the fabric as well.

It's perhaps 4,5 cm wide and 2,5 cm high and can be covered with the colour of a black Edding. That colour doesn't last there for years, but that doesn't matter, because you can cover the flags once more. Or you keep it how it is. Why not, especially in Britain. In Germany it's an official uniform and so I cover it.

All flags can be removed from all other Flecktarn stuff I know easily. I do it with the scissors of the Victorinox Compact within 5 minutes per flag.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Because @Wushuplayer asked about spark resistance I want to answer that question as well.

Solognac offered a spark resistant jacket too, but they took it out of the program because for hunting fast drying plastic jackets or waterproofs are the better option in the opinion of the most clients.

If you don't use special firefighters equipment the only relatively spark resistant fabrics are relatively heavy and thick cotton fabrics like they were used in NATO Armies in the seventies or usual blue jeans or something like that.
Such stuff doesn't dry over several hours if it became whet.

Relatively spark resistant are thinner cotton fabrics and fabrics that have 20 to 35% polyester and minimum 65% cotton in the threads of the fabrics.

Polyester cotton mix 35 polyester/65 cotton is used in German Flecktarn field uniforms and Solognac offers this mix as well.
It's a good compromise between spark or fire resistance and ability to dry faster on your body than you will get I'll if you are used to be outdoors.

Different to that exist outdoor fabrics on the market which aren't spark resistant and have a mix of 65% polyester and only 35% cotton. They are drying faster and also suck a bit of sweat. But they aren't spark resistant or protective against fire. So one has to pay attention if one sees "65/35" Polycotton mix!

Especially Scandinavic brands tend to offer the fast drying non spark resistant stuff, which probably is a good option in very whet and cold conditions.

In France and Germany 65% cotton is the better choice, always but especially during the summer.

Austrian field uniforms still exist in olive green! You can get them used pretty cheap in good conditions and even new.

And they exist in pure cotton as well as in polyester cotton mix, the summer shirt 50/50 the trousers and jackets 65% cotton if that's current stuff. KAZ 02 and KAZ 03 but the older trousers pattern exists in that new fabric as well.

The mix fabric they made for Austria, the pure cotton versions for other southern countries. If one orders such stuff one should order polyester cotton mix versions, even if it isn't declared in the offers. Sellers of surplus Austrian field uniforms usually get and sell both.

This light jackets over T-shirt, classical thin cotton or mix fabric shirt, and polyester fleece jacket are a very comfortable, still relatively fast drying and relatively spark resistant option.
Because they are meant to wear them directly over T-shirt you should order them one size larger if you want to wear them how I recommend it.

Over that you could pull every rain jacket which is long enough, So if you have a relatively short rain jacket for you would be better the shorter version KAZ 03. But with the different pockets I prefere KAZ02.

That's shorter and used:

That's longer and NEW:

The similar German Flecktarn shirts they throw behind you used every corner.

This here are very light summer jackets, nearly just thick midges proof shirts.

I recommend to combine such light jackets with a usual fleece jacket under it and if needed a rain jacket over it.

If you just want to walk a few steps in the woods behind your house you can buy the heavier real military cotton or mix fabric jackets, but for hiking they usually are far to heavy and bulky if you want to put them into your rucksack if it's warm.

Such stuff is offered new and used in old and new patterns from every army. Some in mix fabric, some in pure cotton.

The point one should keep in sight is the price!
Not all surplus stuff is cheap.

And never buy something else than ORIGINAL stuff. Chinese copies usually aren't worth the money. Pay attention, if something is new, if that is really original. Usually it isn't if you find it soon.

You have to ask in such forums where to get original military stuff factory new, because that's hidden a bit behind the copies. But of course you can get nearly everything used or new if you like. The best deal usually is used stuff in good conditions.

In this threat here you can see which British surplus shops the members of this forum recommend:

And this here is one of the best bushcraft shops in the world. They concentrate in high end quality stuff which is a bit pricy but you can expect that the stuff will last you for several decades.

Last edited:

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
Wow, so much information to take in, thank you for all your time and effort for your responses!

My use would be mainly bushcraft in the woods with the occasional hike, Spring, Summer, Autumn in occasional light to moderate rain. I wouldn't plan to be out long in torrential down pours!

I was away this weekend forest camping and have learnt a few things:

- I need tougher clothes! I was wearing my motorcycle jeans, synthetic base layer and wax cotton jacket. My wax cotton jacket was fine against the brambles, but my motorcycle jeans which I thought were tough has threads pulled. You guys have addressed the trouser issue. I may need to ride with motorcycle trousers and pack some bushcraft ones with me.

Is there any light, comfortable, breathable baselayers/tops which are resilient to brambles, thorns etc? Erbswurst I think that shirt you mentioned would be good.

- Are all axes the same? my dad bought me this axe as a gift https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-Camping-Storage-Carrying-Included/dp/B01J8GQVX6
I tried to split some logs without any success! After bashing this log for 5mins, I barely made a dent and ended up with a large blister instead! I'm sure it was largely due to my technique. People make it look much easier on Youtube.

I actually visited Decathlon on my way home from the trip to have a look and try some jackets on. Solognac stuff does look pretty good, even though it is a good price, I think I'd be a little annoyed if I burnt a hole in my plastic jacket. I think I need the weekend to read over all your replies again before I buy something though!

What do you think about this jacket? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...ET-US-M65-STYLE/164274939048?var=463892934965

or this one: it's long, water resistant, and breathable

I just don't think I can pull off German Flecktarn! lol

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I currently run out of battery and will write more tomorrow.

If you didn't yet use that hatchet, I recommend to change it against the Fiskars X7, if possible. It has round about the same price, nearly the same weight but is more powerful. I use such a Fiskars hatchet , one and the same, since round about 25 years. It has an outstanding good value for the money and is a very good choice. Better 9nes cost far more but you don't need a better one. Especially because beginners tend to destroy hatchets with wooden handles. The Fiskars are very robust.

If you are on a budget and less hiking distances but more playing in the woods behind your house you don't need the relatively expensive Forclaz zipp off trousers. Take 1x Solognac Steppe 300 in brown and the green shorts seperately. That's a bit heavier in the rucksack but cheaper and changing trousers with shorts and waterproof trousers is a good traveling concept too.

A lot of cheaper stuff is only available in olive green. To avoid to look in the end like a soldier I recommend to choose brown clothing if they are offered in the same quality for the same price.

You will mix it with green stuff, become pretty invisible from a distance but civil looking on your way to the woods.

I recommend to go in between back to my budget 2019 thread and look at that stuff and try to understand the concept behind. Before you buy stuff let's talk here about your personal needs and budget. A bit pricier are a lot of other often better options and as you just own civil clothing and probably a bit outdoor equipment you don't need to buy all in one rush.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When I was at school there's was a certain youth style that wore great coats and the one to get, which raised their price accordingly, was German army Ives with the German flag on the upper arm. I'm Britain I doubt wearing the German flag is popular but nothing stopping you. Is there a law in Germany about civilians not wearing the flag on clothing?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
No, but if you wear a complete uniform of the state it depends on your behaviour if it's legal or illegal.
Theater and Carneval YES, standing for example on a road cross in police uniform ,or telling people what they should do, NO

Without the signs of state and Bundesland and combined with another clothing piece you nearly can do what you want. And so we avoid to wear complete suits or just cover or remove the flags. Like that it is clear that a civilian wears surplus clothing.
Thats the point.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Wushuplayer
If you would touch 65% cotton 35% polyester fabric in a shop without informations you would think that it would be a 100 % cotton fabric.
But in the woods it dries much faster after it became whet.

The field parka you show here is the 65% cotton 35% polyester version.

But I recommend you to buy a one size larger field blouse, Austrian or German in 65%cotton 35% polyester, to wear it over T-shirt, or T-shirt and other shirt or both and a usual fleece jacket and to replace the field Parka with the Goretex Parka.

That is the better combination if you use that clothing for bushcraft use in British weather conditions.

The German field Parka is made out of the same fabric like the Austrian or German field blouses I mentioned but it is roomy enough to wear it over a thick insulating suit which is winter equipment for really cold conditions, made for sitting in an ice hole.
Because the German Goretex Parka goes in the system over it it is as roomy as the polyester cotton mix field Parka.

The Parka is too heavy for hiking if you need to put it in your rucksack.
It's fine for garden work for example or if you have a fix camp really behind your house.
That's the same with the US army M65 Jackets, you can get in original quality from alpha industries or in good quality used from the Austrian Army.

Here the price is for a new one, currently in this shop no used offered.

The M65 are good jackets, but they are too heavy for trekking and they don't dry if they got whet. A light field blouse and an additional rain jacket is the better option for bushcraft in British weather conditions.

US army M65 / Austrian Feldjacke M 75 are state of the art from 1965, US Army and Austrian army stopped using them. Nowadays exist better clothing concepts how I recommended it to you.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
For what you describe - i.e. sitting around the campfire and dealing with the odd shower and the occasional short hike I would go for something like this:

A UK made waxed cotton jacket for £52 will last you ages and looks better the older it gets. I had one similar that lasted 20 years and I wore it in the wood, on the moors and even on the motorbike - everything except lightweight backpacking (for which it is totally unsuitable). It isn't forces or 'bushcraft' uniform (something I hate).

Or, if you want a more versatile jacket (but not spark proof so just take a bit more care) how about these:

Breathable, lightweight and waterproof.

You don't have to go to Germany to get gear :)

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The French Felin field uniforms are fire resistant and I think I read somewhere that a patch was made with material that does not burn or melt. I have no idea but might have DWR too.

Thick wool jacket can take a lot of rain and sparks, it does get heavy with water and dries slowly but the wetter it is the more wind proof it gets and it is not bad to start with. Difficult to get though, very few manufacturers.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
... But in Germany easy to find in trift shops.
Woolen old jackets are a very good option for bushcraft camps but depending on the cut a less good option for hiking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE