Solo Camping - Trip 2 in England

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello everyone. I've made another little video for my recent (19th April) camping trip. I'm not sure if I'll make videos like this for every trip as they take a bit of work. I'm getting very comfortable with camping and find no problem solo camping, but I have a few concerns regarding the fire. I find that, whilst this fire had no problem with the amount of flame and heat it produced, it chewed up the fuel too quickly. I find I always run out of fuel very fast despite the fact I collect a lot of it. Maybe I just need to have a little bit more faith in the fire and be a bit more conservative with my refueling. Aside from the fire, there were no problems with this little trip and it all went rather smoothly. If anyone is wondering about the drawings, to pass the time I imagined fictional flora and gave them strange fantastical properties. I also made a simple pot hanger which worked nicely. I'll try and make a height adjustable system next time. I need to think of other projects to do in the woods to pass the time though, and I have a few things in mind, carving being the main one. If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

[video=youtube;DTkEslL2Acw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTkEslL2Acw[/video]

Thank you for watching.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
cool, nice vid. How big is the wood and how remote and did you encounter any humans during your stay?
Thanks. The wood is fairly local and starts near a golf course in my village, but you can venture in really quite far and not be disturbed at all. It's quite large in fact.

Edit: I don't have an estimated size, but I walked about 40 minutes to get to my spot, and that was only in one tract of woodland. There's still a lot to explore there.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Looks like you had a good trip!

For the fire, the wood you had seemed more medium stuff, if you whack some logs on, preferably a hardwood like oak, that are thicker than your thigh and they'll burn for ages, keep the fire hot and you won't need to feed it much. Hope this helps :).

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
but I have a few concerns regarding the fire. I find that, whilst this fire had no problem with the amount of flame and heat it produced, it chewed up the fuel too quickly. I find I always run out of fuel very fast despite the fact I collect a lot of it. Maybe I just need to have a little bit more faith in the fire and be a bit more conservative with my refueling.

Type of wood used make a VAST difference, larger pieces of harder wood will last a LOT longer.
So it might be worth looking up and reading up on different trees in your area.

The other thing is using the fuel as efficiently as possible.

Left open then any breeze will blow through wood a LOT quicker than a fire with an effective windscreen around it.
A good windscreen will also reflect a lot of heat as well, so you end up with a more efficient use of fuel, heat is focused more towards where it's needed and the light given off from the flame is not as obvious at night so it's a win all round.

There are also different layouts of fuel to help with feeding the fire, larger logs in a star pattern, Swedish fire torch etc etc etc

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Looks a nice woodland' glad u had a good trip mate' take note of the fire tips bein given its very sound advice :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE