Solo Adirondacks Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Wanted some other opinions really – I’m planning a 7 day trip next Autumn to the Adirondacks (inspired by Nessmuk and the after reading about the region). I’m pretty new to all things outdoors and have only really got into it over the last few years or so - mightily kicked started by my Ray Mears Bushcraft Fundamentals week that I got for my 40th (yes, another mid life crisis bushcrafter!). In the lead up to this trip I’m planning to:

1. Get as much outdoor camping experience as I can – including winter camping.
2. Do a navigation course
3. Learn how to canoe
4. Do a first aid course
5. Find out about the area, dangers routes etc.

All fine so far. The big down side is that none of my mates are really up for that sort of thing - or if they are they would have different priorities to me. I just want to take it real slow, enjoy nature, the space and practice bushcrafty thing! As it’s pretty unlikely I’m going to meet someone that I’d want to spend 7 days with (and likewise!) and has the same objectives as me, the only real option I have is to do a solo trip.

Needless to say it isn’t advisable to go it alone in a remote area – especially with my experience. I know there are a lot of safety precautions available now in terms of gadgets that track your progress via satellite and relay back to a selection of designated people, ditto there is one that can send a electronic distress signal if activated. Still, not a replacement for another pair of hands. However, I still want to do this even if it is on my own.

What do you guys think?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I say do it!
I mostly bushcraft/camp with one or two others. That's fine for just a day. But if I want to go for more than that then I have to do it alone.
There's just nothing worse than being slave to someone else's agenda.
So do it.
However, you wisely mention that a trip to Adirondacks may be a bit much on your own at this stage. Therefore, what about a few experimental trips within the UK to see how you get on. Wales and Scotland have got to be obvious destinations. Do weekenders first, to see what it's like. Then try longer trips when the weather gets a bit better to help build your confidence.
That kind of thing.
Build up to it.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Are you intending to Bushwack or stay to the trail systems. Obviously there is no substitute for experience and only you can be the judge of if you think you are able to manage a wilderness trip such as this.

One plus point is that the back country systems employed in many of the wildreness areas of the states is fantastic though some might say constrictive. The trail networks are generally superb well way maked with pre determined camp grounds etc may not be the "wilderness" you were hoping for it is still lovely.

Maybe start be getting in touch with the national park rangers for the area you wish to visit to get more information etc.

Sounds like a great trip though and as you say why rush.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Thanks guys.

I'd probably bushwack and do some trails. As you say I'm planning on building up to it. Trying to find some woods where I can get permission to camp rather than do the undercover camping bit!

It's funny, it's not until you start looking fro wilderness that you realise that there's practically nowhere on this planet that hasn't been touched by man. The UK is a lost hope for 'wilderness'!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Well you could give Knoydart a try thats pretty much as good as it gets here.

Or you could have a trip closer to home(ish) Sweden or Norway has some lovely places that are also pretty remote.

I would have thought been your first trip alone in what could be very remote in the USA you will feel far more happy with some good experience under your belt.

Like you say just get out and have a go.

The Adirondacks is somewhere on my ticklist too.

Have fun mate

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a great trip Matt

I'll go with what the others have already said, get yourself on some multi day trips up in Scotland or Wales before you go. Don't wait for the nice weather either, get out there as much as you can in all weathers.
There's plenty of places you can lose yourself for three or four days and you won't meet another person, northwest Scotland would be my choice.

Have a good un

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
I've looked at that trip as well and , admittedly from research only, it looks like you can be as near or far from civillisation as you wont to be. You can go from car camping to serious portages depending on what you want and how comfortable you are.

looks like a great trip though

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I say go for it, but the idea of being on my own (completely!) for a week is kinda weird, i'll probably start talking to myself by day 3 and start howling by day 4.

My ideal situation would be to go with someone who I've done smaller trips before and we're kinda "synced" both in pace and style. This way you can have enough of "me" time and also someone to talk to, plus another person is a good insurance policy.

But best of all would be myself alone and a good and obedient dog as my buddy. Plus dogs are an extra pair of eyes (and sharp teeth!).

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Sounds a great trip. The Fundamental course does tend to wake you up eh :) I came home a changed man I tell ya!

Do the prep and practice and Im sure you will be fine. Taking it easy sounds like a sensible thing, you can always build up from there if you feel like it.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Never been in the Adirondaks, but I'm sure they are plenty remote in places, but would be no where near as remote as the Boundary Water Area between Minnesota and Canada. I have read on this website many times where someone says something to the effect, "well if anything goes wrong, I'll just walk to the nearest pub!" I think that is great, and would be fun, but you are NOT going to be able to do that. So, you need to make careful preparation.

Get the Topographical Maps of the area from the USCGS. (U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey). A very good rule here is to stop at the nearest ranger station before departing and leave them your name, destination, and when you expect to return. Then notify them when you come out.

Learn about bears in the woods, storing food away from camp etc. They have brochures. Get them in advance.

My advice is go with someone or absolutely have those satellite devices you mentioned.

By all means make these shorter trips that others posting here have advised you to make. Be sure and use the gear on these short trips that you intend to take with you. Don't embark on a major expedition with untried gear. Find out what works and what doesn't work before its too late. (While you can still walk out to a pub! LOL.)

One last thing: In the north woods over here we have mosquitoes, black flies and an even smaller bug called in some locales, a no-see-um. The mosquitoes are around all of the warm months, but the others have more of a season. Find out when that season is and avoid it if you can. They can make your life a living hell, if you are unprepared.

Good luck, and i'm sure you will have the time of your life. Oh, one last thing. There used to be a very well know newsman over here, named Eric Severied. Back in the 1930s he and a friend paddled from there home in Minnesota to James Bay (part of Hudson Bay) in Canada. He wrote a book about it and it would probably be great reading for you.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Many thanks everyone for all the advice and encouragement. I'm actually suprised no one has said don't do it!

Re Chinkapin's mention of small beasties that bite, part of the reason for going in the Autumn is to avoid the hoards of insects that I hear about in the North Woods. Does anyone know if early/mid Autumn is still a problem for them?

I read up on bears from the official Adirondacks sites, apparently no Grizzlys in the Adirondacks National Park just black ones - great, but I have to say the thought of sleeping alone in the woods with any type of bear is very very freaky!! Mayby my 7 days will turn in to 7 hours!

Also read up on fires in the woods. Sounds like it is OK to have open fires when done responsibly - can anyone confirm that? Has anyone had experience in the Adirondacks or any other American National Park?

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
[I read up on bears from the official Adirondacks sites, apparently no Grizzlys in the Adirondacks National Park just black ones - great, but I have to say the thought of sleeping alone in the woods with any type of bear is very very freaky!! Maybe my 7 days will turn in to 7 hours!] QUOTE

If you have concerns about the Bears I would suggest getting "Backcountry Bear Basics" by Dave Smith.

I go to the USA hunting bear every year, spending up to 3 weeks in the back country,statistically you are more likely to have problems with Black Bears than Grizzlys but it is very unlikely that you will have problems with either.

Just take care with cooking and storing food and the cloths you were when cooking,have a different cooking area to your "living area" ours is usually about 100m away (down wind) if you know the area and hang EVERYTHING in the trees, once you have finished.Whilst walking make plenty of noise but don't whistle.ALWAYS carry a knife if not 2.I have a side arm,and my hunting rifle, with the side arm i have my knife on the opposite hip,the side arm ONLY ever comes of when/if I wash, and goes on immediately after i have finished.

You will not have the luxury of firearms? so I would get some bear spray, when you do, get 2,use one of them to understand how far the effective range of it is and with the other that's what you will carry, and carry it everywhere and i mean EVERYWHERE remember your life could depend on it and its no good back at camp by the tree!!.

But most of all enjoy it.

I will put money on it that you will NOT see a bear within any distance.

If you plan ahead you should be able to hire a "SPOT" receiver, its an electronic position locator and you should be able to get it from the same place as you get your bear spray.

GO FOR IT

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
GrizJoke.jpg

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
That's not helping QDanT!

For all the good it will do I'm currently sewing bells on my clothing - now look like a squaddie who just been on his stag night...or a survialist court jester!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It sounds like a great trip. I have done many one week solo trips and longer as well. I know the general rule is to always go with someone but if I did that, I would not have gotten out nearly as much. But here's some suggestions. First, go camping somewhere alone for a couple days. See how you like it. Do it again and again. For some people, being alone in the woods for a day or two just isn't their cup of tea. If you hunger for more, then you might be a good candidate for a longer solo adventure. But seven days is a long trip for a relative novice. Best to get a lot of experience under your belt first. You want to have a good trip, not be miserable.

Fall is a perfect time for the Adirondacks. Late August is generally an excellent time. The mosquitoes tend to be minimal, and black flies should be long gone. There are some nasty biting flies that can bug you but they are most active during late June, July, and early August.

Be sure to check the rules, not only for campfires but also for cutting of wood. Even wilderness areas can have strict rules and even wilderness areas can have camping only in designated areas. Planning is everything. Plan your trip down to the last detail. I would also recommend sticking to the trail. Give a copy of your trip plan to a local ranger. Check in and let them know who you are and where you are going.

Learn how to hang your food, don't cook where you sleep, and don't sleep where others have spilled food. These simple rules will go a long way towards preventing problems with bears.

Learn how to cook in the rain. Good rain gear and a separate tarp for cooking are good ideas.

Buy the lightest gear you can. Learn the skills of going light but still being comfortable. There is an extensive amount of literature on this topic. Seven days adds up to a lot of food. Late August in the mountains could mean snow at high elevations. You will need warm clothing. And comfortable hiking shoes. :) Try to keep your pack at 50 lbs or less. 35-40 is a nice target. Also, consider doing loops of 3 to 4 days each. You'll carry less that way.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Nice tips guys. The idea of doing several loops back to civalisation in order not to carry too much food is a good one. Carrying a side arm may be a problem for me!

I may be doing this in a canoe which will make the logistics of carrying a lot of food far easier, however a lot of planning will be needed in order to cut out large amounts of portage between water courses.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Which Stratford are you in?

If you're in Stratford-upon-Avon why not pop over to Coventry to one of the BCUK Midlands Meets? There's one coming up in May - see the meetups forum for details - you'll be able to sit around the fire and chat things through, and you'll get to see a whole range of gear and techniques which might give you some inspiration?

If you're Stratford in London it's a bit further to trek, but there are plenty of local meets nearby that you could get along to.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
If you are well versed in the use of firearms, you might consider trying to borrow, or rent one from someone local. If you are not, I would say, that you would be safer without it. If you give serious consideration to a gun, my suggestion would be a 12 gauge pump action. I would load with 2 3/4 inch slugs and put a 00 buckshot in the tube last. (it will be the first one in the chamber.) I would take a few 7 1/2 size shot along for small game. You are now set for any and all occasions!

By the way, our shot sizes differ from British sizes, but not by much.

Gun or no gun you will have a great time. The chances of needing a gun are VERY remote. Relax on that bear business. I go where they are and have rarely ever seen one. Certainly never been bothered by one. Just get some real experiences under your belt as others have suggested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE