Solid cooking spoon and a spurtle

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
A few weeks ago we decided that from now on all the wooden cooking utensils in this house are going to be home made. The ready made stuff ended up as firewood, and I sharpened the carving knifes. So far we have made a couple of new spatulas, a fork and now a solid cooking spoon. As before it's dried pine, walnut oil and oven baking (baking is great, thanks to those who talked me into it). Made a hole in the handle on this one too - not needed, but it looks nice imo.

cooking_spoon.jpg

So what now? A tong maybe?

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice looking spoon there. I suppose being a Scot I have to say a spurtle (or theevil on the east here), mainly for porridge but mine get pressed into general cooking duties too.
spurtle01.jpg

Or if you're feeling up to a challenge a hanging rolling pin like the Victorian style on I got for a mate.
DSC_2959_1024x1024.png

image_ebb775df-573c-435d-b963-7a82f2128653_1024x1024.jpg

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I suppose being a Scot I have to say a spurtle (or theevil on the east here), mainly for porridge but mine get pressed into general cooking duties too.

A solid and useful tool, and as I like Scotland a lot one of those is def up next. Bonus: It doubles as a baton if the guests complain about the food.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A solid and useful tool, and as I like Scotland a lot one of those is def up next. Bonus: It doubles as a baton if the guests complain about the food.
They do that and I'b a liar if I said I was never offered one across the knuckles by my parents. The hanging rolling pin however is excellent for home defence. So you know your safe when making a pie and the zombies attack. :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My first spurtle! A piece of round pine, knife and file/sandpaper. Clean lines by strict use of 1/3s.

spurtle.jpg

That's come out nicely. As you say nicely proportioned and handy looking. Have you used it in anger yet? Have to make a big bowl of porridge to christen it now. Make good moving in presents for folk, that and a bag of salt is kind of traditional

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Seriously beefy looking spoon and cracking straight grain patterning, same with the porridge trunchion very nice grain shaping

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
A few weeks ago we decided that from now on all the wooden cooking utensils in this house are going to be home made. The ready made stuff ended up as firewood, and I sharpened the carving knifes. So far we have made a couple of new spatulas, a fork and now a solid cooking spoon.

Love that challenge! That's the way it was for thousands of years....if you needed something, you made it. Simple as that.

Nice work so far. More pics of the various implements, please!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE