Solar water filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Less than an ounce of water and 3 species of bacteria.
However, you're absolutley right about the concept and value.
There's no reason to suppose that the effects would not be widespread.

Imagine a soft plastic 5 gallon hourglass thing with the invention(s) in a transparent neck,
the water just dribbling by.

My kid is an emergency medicine researcher at Stanford.
I'll ask her what she hears.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
From the paper

"we achieved water disinfection of >99.999% inactivation of bacteria in 20 min with a small amount of material (1.6 mg l[SUP]–1[/SUP]) under simulated visible light. "

The bacteria they used in testing was E. Coli.

Sounds cool, whilst solar disinfection relies on UV, they're harnessing more of the visible light.

Last edited:

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
UVC is a good way to sterlize things, its used in hospitals and even coral aquariums, although UVC is also very dangerous for people you can buy UVC LED's which might make a useful tool for this purpose (as long as it was properly designed to avoid exposure to human skin/eyes)... a microscope would confirm death of protozoa and other larger organisms, but not syre how you would check for bacteria and virii

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Not sure what those Puralytics bags actually do over regular solar disinfection with any clear container.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

Hi Jared.
Brilliant solution the UV.

The difference with the puralytics system is the ability to destroy and purify contaminants like diesel , petrol , pesticides and other man made chemicals as well as heavy metals .
Nanotechnology mesh that is activated by UV .

Here's an excerpt of the description on their eBay listing...

#quote
The SOLARBAG is the only water purifier that is proven to remove virtually every lethal toxin found in contaminated water, including gasoline, diesel fuel, pesticides, herbicides, toxic heavy metals like lead, arsenic, cadmium, and mercury, and pharmaceuticals like artificial hormones and animal antibiotics
- Eliminates 99.9999% bacteria, 99.99% Virus, 99.9% Protozoa, removes heavy metals and destroys manmade chemicals
- The SolarBag is a reusable portable water purifier that cleans 3.5 liters at a time and offers the broadest protection of any portable water filter, and is the only non-powered, non-chemical device to exceed the most stringent water quality testing standards from the US EPA and WHO
- Nanotechnology based water purifier destroys contaminants instead of merely trapping them, no pumping, sucking or back flushing, simple to use, self-cleaning mesh doesn't clog, reusable 100's of times while producing clean tasting water time and time again.
#End quote

Not affiliated

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That sounds like snake oil to me.

'Destroys' heavy metal contaminants? um, how?

[Edit] having read the full description, it doesn't claim to destroy all contaminants, but the bag is lined with something that captures them.

That, I can believe, particularly given the price, which is really not cheap.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE