Solar Technology Globetrotter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
I'll be interested in anyone's opinion as well Mikey, could just be what I am looking for.

Kim

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I don't know if the new pouch/casing makes a difference, but the Freeloader I've used before isn't very rugged and doesn't seem very weather-proof - looks like the main benefit is the large solar panel.

IIRC some people who've used the Freeloader before have ended up switching to the more rugged feeling PowerMonkey.

Used something like this on a 10 day scout jamboree a few years ago, so long as my phone was not a nokia it charged really well.

Found a work around for nokia though, just used the solar panel to charge a 12 volt motorcycle battery and then charged the phone from the battery using a cigar type socket.

Hope this helps.

Margaret

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Now that's what I call ingenious Maggie!!

Thanks Andy, I'll check out the power monkey too.

Sorry Mikey, I hope you don't think I've hijacked your thread mate.

ATB

Kim

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
HI There
I bought a power monkey explorer about 2 months ago and have used it about 20 times so far, it charges phones in the same times as your mains charger and the solar charger charges the monkey, there are loads of connectors for psp's different phones and also creative zen's.
It can be charged from sun, solar, computer, and a fantastic mains charger for all over the world, it is rubber armoured and really tough, basicly it does what it says on the box.
Works very well and on sale in Blacks now

"Have fun shoot a stick"

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
HI There
I bought a power monkey explorer about 2 months ago and have used it about 20 times so far, it charges phones in the same times as your mains charger and the solar charger charges the monkey, there are loads of connectors for psp's different phones and also creative zen's.
It can be charged from sun, solar, computer, and a fantastic mains charger for all over the world, it is rubber armoured and really tough, basicly it does what it says on the box.
Works very well and on sale in Blacks now

"Have fun shoot a stick"

I've never used either of these, however, whilst they seem to be a good idea, that's an awful lot of money to spend to charge your phone / whatever.

I personally prefer to be without as much technology as possible when bushcrafting, although I do understand the safety considerations and the need for contact with the civilised world on longer trips.

Have you looked into hand-wound chargers, I picked one up a while ago for around £5 (a fraction of these solar chargers), whilst it requires human energy (and therefore essentially creates a need for more calories etc.) if you're prudent with the use of your phone then you wouldn't need to keep charging it?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I've never used either of these, however, whilst they seem to be a good idea, that's an awful lot of money to spend to charge your phone / whatever.

I personally prefer to be without as much technology as possible when bushcrafting, although I do understand the safety considerations and the need for contact with the civilised world on longer trips.

Have you looked into hand-wound chargers, I picked one up a while ago for around £5 (a fraction of these solar chargers), whilst it requires human energy (and therefore essentially creates a need for more calories etc.) if you're prudent with the use of your phone then you wouldn't need to keep charging it?

Spoilsport.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Not so much a spoilsport, just trying to save a fellow gear-freak from buying more unnecessary kit (pot, kettle black, etc) from someone who spends too much time using electronic gadgets (computer, mobile, gps etc) at work and hence tries to gain a balance when getting back to nature !?

But it's what we do! :puppy_dog (sob)

We did use a battery to also run our laptop, over the 10 days the solar charger didn't seem to charge the battery enough to fully charge the battery if we were also charging a laptop. But it kept us going enough to get us nearly home.

Maggie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE