SOG Revolver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Robbie thanks again for your input.. i apologize for the negative comments i made about your knife in this thread.. i realise in hindsight that they were disrespectful to a product that you have obviously put time and effort in to conceiving and designing.. and while it doesn't suit my needs, it obviously does suit the needs of other.. so you should be proud :wink:

and i almost forgot.. Welcome to BCUK :biggthump

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
TomTom, That's quite alright, the knife is hard to understand just by looking at a picture. Now if you had one and had used it, and still felt it was an inferior knife, I would be very concerned. It has been a long hard road to get where we are now, and my number one concern is to try to help people that may have doubts about it's function or usefulness realize that it is not just another gadget or gizmo.
It's not easy to introduce a new knife idea or concept into this experienced and educated knife world I have learned. But by people testing and using this knife in the field, it really helps. As the article written about the idea in my hometown paper said, it has never been about money, I made a promise that I would focus only on quality and real life function and usefulness, after all, if it did not work when the user needed it, it would be another useless idea.
By the way, I collect knives of all types, folders and straights, love them all, (just ask my wife :wink: ) so I am glad to be here now so I can talk about all these knives. I have felt just like you many times in the past, the truth is, you did nothing wrong, you just need to be convinced by facts and evidence before you believe, and sometimes it takes a while to prove a new thing really works as well as our tried and tested ones do.
Robbie Roberson. :wave:
P.S. Did I mess up this thread by posting in the wrong place originally ? Gosh, that would be terrible for my first post, I am sorry if that happened, maybe someone can explain where I need to click, it seems to be different than the U.S. forums in the way it displays after post.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Update, I am a dummy :roll: , I did not realize there were settings to change for how the threads were viewed, sorry. Now I have them set right for what I am used to here at home. I don't make it to town much to learn this stuff :wink: .

If anyone ever wants to email me, please feel free to do so, thanks.

Robbie Roberson. :wink:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Robbie, apologies if any of the posts offended you. No-one here would want that! We were just acting on what we saw as you said. Please visit us often :biggthump

Jake

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ooh, ooh! I have a question... what do you do when the saw goes blunt? Is it easy to sharpen?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think you can sheath it either way. The dimensions are the same (pretty much) for either blade or saw.

The shooting press over here is raving about these designs, at least the reviews I've read anyway.

Robbie, if you me to review it from a UK point of view, feel free to send one over to me :biggthump

Cheers

Mark

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Jake, no problem with that, I just hope I can clear up a few misconceptions about this knife, I have used my Revolvers for almost 2 years cutting all types of wood, trees and bone. I have yet to have to sharpen the saw, but when they get dull, I plan to hit the edges with a stone and I am sure this will bring it back. The teeth on this saw are needle sharp, so it cuts like crazy.
TomTom, I have talked with SOG many times in the last couple years and have not heard of one blade returned for sharpening, being broken or a switch malfunction. Not sure about the whole blade cost, but since the whole SEAL Revolver sells all over the internet for about 60 (U.S.) and has a lifetime warranty against manufacture defects, you can't hardly go wrong for such a useful knife.
Buckshot is right, the knife can be sheathed with either blade out, this is one of the things I am hearing deer hunters like because they can leave the saw out in a locked position while they climb and clear limbs as they go for line of sight shots, this makes it much safer while climbing to a tree stand. The cutting blade actually never has to be exposed until you need it, making it a very safe knife.
In no way do I plan to quit using or carrying my other straight knives, I like them too much and since I am a knife nut first, I always take an extra favorite along. But the thing I am realizing is that the Revolver will definately spoil you, it is amazing how quick I notice it's gone if I leave the house for a short walk and decide to cut a limb with a 5 inch cutting blade. I find myself grinning like a possum in the woods when I realize the saw option is so useful.
The bottom line is this, it will not replace our favorite straight knives, but it has certainly made things much easier for a lot of outdoors people, and that is all I hoped for. :wink:
Sorry for the long post.

Robbie Roberson.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
TomTom, You know, it cuts so well, I have not noticed much difference in the saws ability to cut green or dead wood. The double cut saw on the Hunter Revolver is scary sharp and it cuts so fast it's really hard to tell.

Robbie Roberson.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Robbie if i am understanding you right.. there is more than one knife in the revolver range.. yet i have only seen the seal.. got any links for the others.. :)

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Andy, Yes, there is some good news about the SOG SEAL Revolver :) . Here is a quote from the new SOG sales book just out.

"The SOG black TINI SEAL Revolver was recently chosen to be a part of the Personal Environmental Protective Survival Equipment (PEPSE) system for Special Operations Forces deployed in cold weather conditions"

Here is a link/picture of the Revolver mentioned above, "A".

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/production/s_through_z/sog/sog_revolver_blacktini_coating.html

The SOG Revolver has been very well received in the U.S.A. and many other countries. A good "local" review was done a little while back on the SOG Hunter Revolver on KnifeForums and I posted a link to this review a while back here on BushcraftUK so everyone could get a better idea of what the Revolver was capable of doing.

Here is a link to that review in case someone missed it.

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthrea...iew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

Hope this helps, contact me anytime.

Robbie Roberson :)

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Hoodoo, there is one available but it probably would not be very popular for bushcraft work since it has 2 cutting blades and no saw. One blade is a clip with partial serrations and the other backup blade is a Tanto straight edge blade with no serrations.

I have found that the Hunter Revolver (flat grind straight edge) fits the bill for me and many others even though it does have a gut hook. The gut hook can be used for many chores around the camp including cutting tarps, cords, and stripping small sapplings for bedding etc. The latter was mentioned in the review at KnifeForums and works wonderful for this and saves from having to sharpen the main cutting edge by utilizing the gut hook for things other than skinning.

Robbie Roberson :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE