Softening Veg Tanned Leather

N

Nomad

Ordered some of this, 3" wide, which arrived today...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130650347...49&var=430052552752&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's for making a guitar strap, keeping the original width. It's much stiffer than I expected and I'm a little concerned that the edges might be a bit uncomfortable. If I wanted to increase the flexibility across the width, what can I do?

It came with a couple of small sample strips, and just I've put a fairly liberal coat of neatsfoot oil on half of one of these to see what happens. Am I on the right track? Will beating it, or generally applying some heavy flexing, up help to loosen the fibres? (The strap is for me, and I'm not interested in trying to make it look new - playing comfort must come first.)

N

Nomad

Thanks BR. Just gave it a second dose and the hair side seems to be absorbing much less while the flesh side is still drawing it in. Not much change in flex so far, but I guess it needs to be worked and flexed a bit. Any advantage to applying some saddle soap afterwards? (For a guitar strap, one would want to avoid anything rubbing off onto the clothes/skin, and preferably not have an odd pong.)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saddlesoap is mostly beeswax and.......(drumroll)....neatsfoot oil :)

No harm in applying some and do "work" the leather - try rubbing it over a round backed dining chair. That works on rifle slings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE