Softening a skin

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've just been given the skin off a roadkill by a friend. He used saltpeter to cure it but it has gone a bit hard over time. How can I soften it again?:confused:

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Try 'Neats foot oil' , you can buy it anywhere that sells horsey stuff (a neat is another name for a bullock)

Re-reading your post, is it a fur or leather?
I've never tried oil on fur (I don't work the stuff at all), if you are going to try oil, only put it on the 'flesh' side as it might screw the fur up
'flesh' as in the inside, rather then the 'grain' side (the outside)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Try 'Neats foot oil' , you can buy it anywhere that sells horsey stuff (a neat is another name for a bullock)

Re-reading your post, is it a fur or leather?
I've never tried oil on fur (I don't work the stuff at all), if you are going to try oil, only put it on the 'flesh' side as it might screw the fur up
'flesh' as in the inside, rather then the 'grain' side (the outside)

It is a fur and its just gone hard. I don't want to do too much with it in case it cracks. All advice greatfully appreciated.:D

xylaria

I used coco butter and manipulation. You have to fold and crease up the skin, it is the bit where first nation canadians use their teeth. I heard of baby oil been used as well, I think you can use any oil as long as it doesn't turn rancid.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I used coco butter and manipulation. You have to fold and crease up the skin, it is the bit where first nation canadians use their teeth. I heard of baby oil been used as well, I think you can use any oil as long as it doesn't turn rancid.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll give them a try. With regard to the Canadian First Nation chewing, I think the women did that didn't they? I might be pushing my luck if I suggested to my wife that I would appreciate a couple of hours of her time to chew a fur!!!:p

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Tony Robinson in "The Worst Jobs In History" springs to mind, in one program he was softening furs, by covering the back in lard (or animal fat of some kind) and then treading them for hours.
I'm assuming that these were (supposedly) furs caught and cured in the 'colonies' and then imported the the heart of the empire

xylaria

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll give them a try. With regard to the Canadian First Nation chewing, I think the women did that didn't they? I might be pushing my luck if I suggested to my wife that I would appreciate a couple of hours of her time to chew a fur!!!:p

Ahh modern wimmin hey!!

Women work is never done.....normally because we can find something better to do.

I'll get back to my knitting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE