Sock water filter - how to..

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
I remember reading somewhere about using a sock for a water filter using charcoal and other bits. Can anyone explain the process for me please
Cheers

Aug 3, 2013
Newbury
I've made them using two socks one inside the other, deprecated by a charcoal layer

Inside sock is a thick 'wooly' type for large particles

Outside sock is a fine nylon type for small particles

Worked okay but needed a dose of chlorine afterwards

(You can do the same with several buckets stacked upon one another, filtering through large to small gauge stones, then sand and finally charcoal. Takes an age to filter but did make rather pleasant drinking)

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I just use a fine nylon type of sock - I stick the bulk of the sock into the water bottle and pull the neck of the sock over the outside of the bottle - pour in the water and the sock catches all the floaties and swimies - from there chemically treat for pathogens if desired

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ive used a silk glove liner stretched over a nalgene bottle to remove the big crud prior to boiling. works quite well. I agree though that i wouldnt drink any water prepared through a diy filter unless it was a survival situation

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
depends on whether there is any chemical contamination present - the activated charcoal if used is to latch onto many of the possible chemicals and to keep it out of the filtered water - personally I don't use the charcoal but I also am rather selective in the water sources used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE