So..what do you do for a living ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
I have just finished my last day at what is undoubtedly the worst company I have worked at and ever hope to however whilst looking for other opportunities I came across a job title that did tickle me "Head of Sludge" apparently this really is a job title for person in a water utilities company and the pay was awesome £80k + benefits. I would have applied but I am only qualified in gunge.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Time Served Fabricator Welder for the last 30 years. Mainly Offshore containers for the oil and gas industry aswell as Nuclear Waste Containers. Myself and the Wife have also been Full time foster carers for the last 8 years.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I teach techy so yesterday and today - pencil and marker rendering of products S1 (12yr olds), metal turning, wood turning, mortise machine, 3D Modelling CAD, DTP magazine Design, Plastic moulding (vaccum forming), Walk to a Broch yesterday afternoon inc. hot choc and cake in a cafe (social skills for ASC kids), last night after school climbing club at RATHO wall (biggest in the world) - so very varied days !

Lots of tools and kit to organise, which is a bit of nightmare some days........

I'm a [posh title] Naval Architect, more like a draughtsman/ general office lacky and what passes for an IT "expert" in our small office [the older folks bemone the fact of giving up thier pencils and drawing boards]. 6 years now and still enjoying it:)

Have been getting into doing alot of visualisation stuff creating nice images and animations to use for marketing to sell our vessels :)

I teach TECHY and we have just started the move away from pencils and drawing boards !

This year, May/June, is the last of the Tech Drawing exams on drawing boards in Scotland. We will still teach the skills but not as much and it is not going to be assessed. We teach sketching and 3D Modelling, mainly Inventor, with visualisations and assemblies. Some here

TC_Inventor Models4 by Scotstechy, on Flickr

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Carpet fitter for 23 years, last 8 self employed.
Part time knife and sheath maker but I haven't made a compleat knife since last October as the day job has been too busy.
I wish I had done something worth while with my life!!!

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
I was a helicopter pilot but when my daughter was born 12 years ago I had to give it up. I was often away from home working all over the place and when one of my friends died in an accident I decided it was time for something safer. I now work for he UK's largest mobile phone company, EE.

Vet Nurse!

56081810150255243694955.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Since people are also listing other, previous jobs, can I add teacher, 16+ sector, various biological subjects from basic health and hygiene to lecturing in neuroanatomy & neurophysiology. 8 years at that. Then about 4 as an information anbalyst for the Probation Service, followed by another 4 doing various HR jobs (sickness absence management in the main). A year spent very unsuccessfully being self employed, and now approaching 3 years in my current job.

If we are doing previous jobs.
Butcher Boy fir the princely sum of £ 1.10 an hour.
Bar staff
Brick layers labourer
Worked In a hippy shop you know the sort incense crystals and twee Dragon statues.
Ran my own gardening business.
Factory worker
Shop assistant

What have I learnt from previous jobs?
I prefer someone else finding me the work and doing the paperwork.
I do not like factory work
I like working outside but only when it ain't freezing cold
All jobs are as bad or as good as you make them
Sausage makin machines are revolting t clean out

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I'm a pilot, qualified to ATPL level and a bit unusual that I'm dual rated, I can fly helicopters as well as fixed wing aircraft. They are two totally separate licences.

I've also been a nuclear submariner, and used to go to sea on those lovely machines for months at a time. Happy times, important work (imho) and I still miss it. The views a little better now though.

I've also been a car mechanic, a door steward, a self defense instructor and a few other things that were brief employment but kept me fed.

Now I'm getting older, and looking at ways to at least semi retire in about 10 years. Because it'd be nice to do so while my knees etc still work at least some of the time.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Teacher in a secondary school - Design and Technology (mainly CADCAM stuff) with a bit of French and Spanish for variety.

BUT - could be retiring soon... watch this space...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE